Why do some Americans work so much and pick work over family/traditions & instant gratification?

Biggest culture shock! In other countries I have lived and traveled, family gatherings and traditions/celebrations is the most important part of life! WE WORK TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO WORK! Family gatherings is all about making traditional foods and alcohol. But for Americans, its just hows the easiest way to get... show more Biggest culture shock! In other countries I have lived and traveled, family gatherings and traditions/celebrations is the most important part of life! WE WORK TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO WORK!

Family gatherings is all about making traditional foods and alcohol. But for Americans, its just hows the easiest way to get full. They dont take time to appreciate traditions, just instant gratification!

I am shocked how kids in America see their uncles/cousins like once a year or every other year.

And whats so ILLEGAL about walking around with a beer in my hand? What is wrong with gathering with a group of friends and playing soccer in an alley. Why do Cops come and ruin everything? Why so prude of a country? I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE LAND OF THE FREE! FREE MY BUTT!

Havent Americans figured out that they are controlled and the only purpose for them is to generate money for the ELITE?
Update: OLD MISTER HAPPY - Freedom to do whatever at 18? No wonder kids here are messed up. THe freedom in this country is extreme. WIthout traditions and famiy values, life is pointless.