metatarsal fracture or just a bone bruise?

i was at a trade show nearly two weeks ago, when a large, probably 3 foot by 3 foot window leaning against a wall tipped over from someone moving others further ahead of us. i went to catch it because i didn't want it to shatter on the cement floor...but it was so heavy and falling quickly that i couldn't get it before it hit the ground, and the unfinished wood frame fell across the top middle of my foot. the glass ended up being thick enough that it didn't break at all. i was wearing tennis shoes thankfully, but it still hurt a lot. i limped around for about a week and it hurt to touch the top of my foot but didn't bruise. it swelled and got a slight bit red, and is still sorta swelled up.

i can walk on it, but if you touch the top of my foot it makes it hurt and keeps on aching after that. i would think it would start feeling better by now but it hasn't really..it got better and only hurt to touch the top of my foot and then a few days last week it hurt a lot and since then the pains been on and off and it occurred on the 10th of september. im wondering if i should get an x-ray in case somethings messed up or wait awhile longer to see if it will heal? im a 23 year old girl. my mom says if anythings broken i would have a hard time walking on it, but i read stress fractures occasionally start out as gradual pain and get worse. i don't think its broke just because its not extremely painful but i don't want to make it worse by waiting you know?

i know its obvious just go get it checked, but im not quite sure how long i should wait to see if it starts feeling better. i was also wondering if you could bruise your bone without actually bruising your skin?

thanks!

Favorite Answer

I think I've heard of bruising bones. I broke my nose at the end of July but thought maybe I just bruised it badly. I didn't get in to get an x-ray til a few weeks later. It was getting better, the bone was healing, the swelling slowly went down, etc., but it was broken. I have a bump out to the side of my nose and will have it fixed next week. The swelling is gone, the yellow skin on the sides of my nose are gone (this is what made me schedule an x-ray because I fractured my nose once before and my undereyes turned yellow).

I read that the bone starts to "meld" together around 4 wks (give or take a little). When I hit a few wks past the injury I had stronger pains, weird feeling through my nose that went away after a week or so. Since I was a few wks past the injury they couldn't just put the bones back into place, they have to re-break the nose (they are going to shave the bone and do some other fixes in there).

I think if you wait too long and it is broken, it might heal the wrong way.

I have broken a pinky toe and it flopped over to one side. They didn't even tape it, just x-rayed it every few weeks to see if there was new bone growth. I was in a velcro sandal for weeks.

My mom had a bone chip in one foot and they did surgery I think. I don't remember the details.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i was at a trade show nearly two weeks ago, when a large, probably 3 foot by 3 foot window leaning against a wall tipped over from someone moving others further ahead of us. i went to catch it because i didn't want it to shatter on the cement floor...but it was so heavy and falling quickly that...

Source(s): metatarsal fracture bone bruise: https://shortly.im/Y1fKN

Hi. I work at a Podiatrist's office. We often refer patients to the site below for information and how to find products to treat their condition.

http://www.myfootshop.com/article/metatarsal-fract...