what type of pictures for my modelling portfolio?

i went to a modelling agency yesterday, they took some photographs of me. however, they said i didnt look great in the pictures due to my lack of experience in front of a camera. BUT, they said they will accept me as they believe i have a great figure, great hair and they like my make up...and think i look exotic and love my look.

they now want a portfolio but im not quite sure what pictures i should have taken...since they like my hair and think i have hair "business"...should i focus on hair shots? if so...what type? and what about body and make up shots?

do i just take normal pics or do you reckon i focus on those specific aspects?

thanks!

• Andy W
    Favorite Answer

If the agency took you on then they should be advising you what pictures are required and most will recommend some photographers to you.

If they are not doing that then forget them, they are not worth it.

As Andy W says the model never decides what sort of pictures go into a portfolio - that's all up to the agency

The agency should be speaking with the photographer before any shoot to advise on how they want to promote you -- high fashion, commercial print, parts (hair), glamour, etc. Depending on how they want to market you will affect the poses, lighting, styling (hair, makeup, clothing) etc. This is never the model's decision. It's a waste of money paying for a portfolio shoot without the agency's involvement, as if the photos are not what the agency is looking for, you'll end up having to pay for another shoot

Source(s): agency experience

You should look up photographers in your area that are well known that will allow you to pick a location outdoors for your shoots. I would say go for a variety of photos. The portfolio I shot for someone last included 4 head shots (angled, and forward), a variety of body shots in different outfits (upper half body, full body, 3/4, sideview, laying down). I would definitely have them done outside, and have them done by someone that you pay hourly so that you can change and such. But just so you know, those photographers usually run $30-75 and hour and then charge for prints as well. But it will definitely be worth it in the long run.