What is my estimated life expectancy?

I have a blood disease - hereditary spherocytosis and I had my first blood transfusions when i was 23 days old. When I was 6 years old, I had splenectomy (my spleen removed). I have two questions:

1. What is the risk of Sepsis after splenectomy (for a person with hereditary spherocytosis)?

2. Is my life expectancy shorter than a healthy person's? (how long then? having in mind that i am 15 yrs old now and I don't have a spleen and I don't have tonsils) oh and I also suffer from a lot of stress

Favorite Answer

Your life expectancy should be the same as the general population as long as you do not have any complications of your splenectomy, such as sepsis. The spleen is an important part of the immune system, especially when controlling encapsulated bacteria like Streptococcus pneumoniae, Hemophilus influenzae and Neisseria meningitidis. Having your spleen removed does increase your risk of serious infections especially from these organisms. The incidence of sepsis after splenectomy for Hereditary Spherocytosis is rare. One study found that the incidence of fatal infection was 0.73 per 1000 years and I have included the study below. This is pretty low, but sepsis is serious and can certainly be fatal. Therefore it is unlikely that you will develop sepsis or any other serious infections, but if it were to occur you would need immediate treatment. You should have been vaccinated against all of the above bacteria I mentioned right after your surgery. If you are unsure then ask your doctor. Vaccination is a very important way to reduce your risk of sepsis. If you have symptoms suggestive of an infection, then you should promptly seek medical attention and treatment to prevent serious complications. Hereditary spherocytosis tends to respond well to splenectomy and this should not limit your life expectancy. Good luck.

Source(s): Physician

Life After Splenectomy

1. There is no risk of sepsis for you. The risk for it is immediately after the surgery.

2. Your life expectancy is normal. Even without your tonsils and spleen, you still have your lymphatic system which is the main line of defense for infections. You do need to be careful of infections.

this is definitely a question to ask your doctor or a family member who may know.