Hot water heater problem?

My hot water heater keeps candle lighting when its cold. Once it warms up it works fine, but in the morning and at night I can't keep it lit. Its not a problem with the pilot light.

It is an older model water heater but still pretty new, I bought it like 4 years ago. It started at the end of last winter and then was fine all through summer. Now that its getting cold again it is starting to act up again.

When I light it, it starts up fine, then a few seconds go by and the flame just gets smaller and smaller until it just candle lights and then goes out. I've called a few plumbers and they just tell me to buy a whole new water heater since that one is old, then they try and sell me one, but I can't afford it right now. Any one know anything on the subject?

Best Answer

It sounds more like the gas valve itself. I believe the coil in the valve is weak. The gas valve is an electric magnetic coil. When first powered the valve opens to full position but as the coil heats up it is losing the ability to keep the valve in the full open position. The diaphragm could be falling also. Not sure what ambient temperature would play in here but the symptoms you give are definitely valve related.

Actually reading it over and giving it some more thought if you have a pressure regulator on the line too, that could act the same way.

sounds like the thermostat on the side of the unit might be partly blocked making the unit think it is at operation temp. you may have to replace it...good luck