Would you buy this if you had the chance?

@Kool Aider; I was born in Mexico, this has absolutely no value to me.

• Best Answer

Gonzalez, nationality should be irrelevant. There were 68 gold medals handed out at the 1980 Winter Olympics.....Well's medal is physically no different than any of Eric Heiden's, or Leonard Stock's. They all look the same.

The fact that there are only 68 out there (67 of you count the fact that Mark Pavelich donated his) makes it a very rare item indeed that any one should want.

No where on that medal does it was what sport it was won in or who won it (unlike the Vancouver medals which tell you the sport and year on the medal). So, 40 years down the road you could claim it be Jim Craig's, or Dave Christians, or Mike Eruzione's or Ingemar Stenmark's. If you don't show them Wells' letter - no one will know - and the IOC has no way of verifying who owed it - only that it's real.

If someone were to hand you a Kruggerand, or a Canadian Maple Leaf - would you say it had no value to you because it's not from Mexico? Hell no, you keep it because it's a gold coin that will (hopefully) appreciate in value as time goes on.

This is one of 68 gold medals from 1980. It contains $12,000 worth of gold and almost $1000 worth of silver. Add to that the rarity factor - and it's worth a heck of a lot!

• Jav

@TexHabs, but really, that would be so cool to have. *Somebody walks into your house "Oh, what's that?" "No big deal, it's just an original gold medal from the Miracle on Ice"

If I could afford it I would be all over it. And I couldn't give you a number seeing as how I don't know what other investors are willing to pay for it. I'll go slightly higher than the previous bidder, how about that?

• No, no, no, no.

If I was of the means to acquire something like that, and was American (I'm Canadian so I don't really care), I'd bid on the thing, buy it, and then send it back to the guy with a note that says "I believe this belongs to you". Sorry, but that's a once-in-a-lifetime keepsake and he shouldn't have had to sell it for medical care.

If the American Olympic Committee and USA Hockey are reading this, the time to do something for this guy is right now.

No I love hockey but I would rather spend that money on a car or something that I can use rather than having something that would sit in a case and a few friends can look at...I want the world to see that I am rich by driving a Ferari or Lambo or those International Trucks, they are sexy.

2 Million

• Stevie

I couldn't afford it but I feel saddened for Mr.Wells.

This is truly a piece of hockey history.

The 1980 win brought hockey to the attention

of millions, a good thing.

• I'm not American, so no thankyou.

But if I were to buy that, I'd pay about....maybe like a couple of hundred thousands, I can't really put a price on it. How much would YOU pay:????

Edit: Hey lady! it's a piece of hockey history!

If I were a billionaire, I'd buy it for philosphic as well as philanthropic reasons. Then I'd donate it to the American equivalent of the HHOF.

There's no good reason - except for humanitarian or charitable - that something like a historic gold medal should be put up for sale.

If I were a player that had one, I'd take it to my grave.

Since I'm neither a billionaire or an Olympian, I have no need for it.

• Snid

Nope. There is no way i could even compete in the opening bidding for that. It will go for BIG bucks which I don't have.

If I had the money, ten thousand.