FREE Video Editing/ Converting Programs?

Note that is says *Free* in all capital letters :) I have a HD Digital Camera that records in .MOV and .MOV only, so I wanted a free video editing program as well as a converter, that can caonvert the .mov into something more universally, like .avi or .mp4. I record videos at 1440x1080 and would like to keep... show more Note that is says *Free* in all capital letters :)

I have a HD Digital Camera that records in .MOV and .MOV only, so I wanted a free video editing program as well as a converter, that can caonvert the .mov into something more universally, like .avi or .mp4. I record videos at 1440x1080 and would like to keep the quality. I would like to do time lapses of the sky and the river, but I also want to record other videos :)
Update: Oh, a smart answer.... thanks. I've tried quite a few and they are mostly crap. I was looking for suggestions, from people who actually are or have used them.