Which wires are poistive and negative on the computer?

Trying to build my own PC but I can't tell which wires, of those leading from the front of the PC (Like the power switch, reset switch) is positive or negative? Is it a specific color? Symbol? There is nothing in the case manual to describe which is which and the motherboard manual only tells me which pins are + or -. On a related note, if I have them connected to the wrong pins, could that cause my power supply to not work?

• Melv H
    Favorite Answer

Even if they're not consistently color-coded, the negative side will generally be the SAME color. So, whether they're all black, or all white, or all brown, etc., assume the wires, in the pairs, that are all the same color, will be the negative side.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be that uncommon to find front panel LED connectors that are themselves wired wrong (with reversed polarity). So, if you find one that's connected properly, but not working, just flip it around.

Also, if I'm referring to a pin diagram in a manual, I always want to compare first, to confirm that the markings right on the motherboard --the labels next to the pins --correspond exactly to the diagram shown in the manual. (You can really waste a lot of time, if you're referring to a manual that shows the wrong diagram.)

• Abdul

What motherboard do you have?

the power switch and the reset switch do not have any polarity, you should connect them to the mobo with the insulated plastic sides facing each other as the space between them is very less

the manual will give a picture of the position of the led plugs on the mobo

reversing the led plugs will stop the illumination of the led, to correct it just reverse the plug

Connecting a switch the wrong way will have no effect. Connecting a light the wrong way will cause it not to illuminate. In general, the label on the connector faces towards the edge of the motherboard or the black lead is negative.

only the LED's matter. the other ones just complete the circuit.

the LED's should be documented in your motherboard manual. and the worst that will happen is the LED will not light up. just switch it and you'll be good.

I am positive that

generally on a psu

red - +5 V

yellow - +12

black - negative

Source(s): wikipedia and knowledge.