Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why is there so much child molestation in the catholic church?

Why?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There isn't.

There is less molestation within the Catholic Church than without. It just seems more because Catholic molestation gets more press than non-Catholic molestation.

In every population of human beings are going to a few sick or evil people who commit horrible crimes, even in the Church.

The percentage of pedophiles in the clergy of the Catholic Church is actually less than that of society in general.

These few terrible people do not negate the faith, hope and love of over one billion Catholics.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families report "Child Maltreatment 2006" states that sexual abuse by Catholic clergy was less than one-half of one percent of all cases.

The report states that the perpetrators relationship to the victim was:

29.1% were Other Relatives

26.2% were Parents

24.4% were Others

6.9% were Unknown or Missing People

6.1% were Unmarried Partners of Parent

4.4% were Friends or Neighbors

1.8% were Child Daycare Providers

0.5% were Other Professionals

0.3% were Foster Parents

0.3% were Residential Facility Staff

0.1% were Legal Guardians

All clergy is a subset of Other Professionals and Catholic clergy is a subset of all clergy. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm06/table...

Here is the complete document: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm06/cm06....

The 2007 Annual Report prepared by the Catholic bishops identifies 15 allegations of childhood sexual abuse in the U.S. Catholic Church from 2000 to 2007. Please note that there were 64,800,000 Catholics in the U.S. in 2005. http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm

The 2007 Associated Press investigation identifies 2,570 public school teachers who, from 2001 through 2005, had their teaching licenses "taken away, denied, surrendered voluntarily, or restricted" because of sexual misconduct with minors.

Here is George Weigel's column detailing the Media's feeding frenzy on the Catholic Church: http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/03/sco...

Here is Father Thomas Brundage's account (he was the judge) of the trial of Father Lawrence Murphy and the misreporting of the media: http://catholicanchor.org/wordpress/?p=601

Newsweek: Priests seem to abuse children at the same rate as everyone else. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/04/07/mean-men.html

With love in Christ.

• 1 decade ago

There is MUCH more in Protestant religions than in the Catholic Church. There's much more of it in public schools. The media is making you believe that pedophilia is rampant throughout the Church when it is less than 10% of all priests who do such things. So there isn't nearly as much of it as you think in the Church.

Why would pedophiles join the priesthood? I believe there are two reasons:

1. I think a few hope that dedicating their lives to God will take their urges away not realizing that they will be put in temptation almost constantly.

2. Easy access.

The idea that some priests are pedophiles because they are celibate is incredibly ridiculous and naive. Before anyone has their first sexual experience, they've been celibate--yet attracted to the other sex--for years. Few turn to little children for sex. To say this is as silly as claiming gays are naturally pedophiles as well.

I find it incredibly sad that there are so many uneducated and naive people here who are blaming pedophilia on the lack of sex. I wonder how many of them are having regular sex. I bet very few and yet I bet none of them have suddenly become attracted to children. But I'm sure they think their situation is somehow different.

• winnie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

<<Why is baby molestation so hassle-loose interior the Catholic church?>> that's no longer, extremely. that's in basic terms that the media-hype makes it look worse than that's. <<On a consistent with-capita foundation, there are extra molestations interior the Catholic church than the different church. Why is this?>> that's no longer, actual. the proportion of clergymen hassle-loose to have molested a baby is extra or less 6%. that's comparable with the style of non-Catholic Christian ministers who've molested little ones; resembling the proportion of faculty instructors to have had illicit sexual kinfolk with scholars; and it is likewise resembling the proportion of human beings in secular society that have commited baby molestation. <<Is it as a results of fact the clergymen cant get married and ought to stress themselves upon defenseless teenagers?>> No, that's ridiculous! Pedophilia is a disordered sexual inclination - regardless of if that's no longer brought about by the prepare of abstinence. Any respected mag of drugs will teach that abstaining from intercourse does not reason pedophilia.

• 1 decade ago

You have some good answers but it's interesting to note this scripture.

1 Timothy 4:1-3

1 However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and TEACHINGS OF DEMONS, 2 by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; 3 FORBIDDING TO MARRY, commanding to ABSTAIN FROM FOODS which God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.

(I highlighted the "abstain from foods" part too because as a child I had schoolmates who were Catholic and not allowed to eat meat on Fridays. I don't know if the church still holds to that restriction.)

The Catholic church is truly blood guilty for her many sins.

Here is how Jehovah's Witnesses deal with child abuse.

http://www.jw-media.org/aboutjw/jwb02e.htm

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Is there really that much, I'm wondering? Or is it that they get all the attention, and it only SEEMS like a lot? (Just curious how accurate the premise behind your question really is.) (No, I'm not a catholic, and I also think that if a man wants to become a priest for life, he should have that temptation removed, so he doesn't have to struggle with sexy women who come to their church, or what ever. What? Haven't you ever heard of the movement "CFO" - Castration For Offenders"?) (Nah - I just made up the name, but maybe somebody will actually start such a movement.)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There isn't, at least, no more than anywhere else; But...

Because the catholic church made the mistake of trying to hide the truth, and protected the guilty priests by moving them to parishes where they were not known.

The final effect of this was that when the scandal did finally break, the world was queuing up to jump on the band wagon, and claim a slice of compensation from a rich and easy target.

• 1 decade ago

Years ago much more so than today, the expectation for catholic boys and girls was to grow up, and either get married or become a priest or nun. If you were attracted to your own sex or children you hide that by joining up. Fifty + years ago it was about the only option for young Catholic lesbians. Now homosexuality is no longer the huge taboo, the only "misfits" attracted to the priesthood are the pedophiles.

It has nothing to do with not being allowed to marry. Normal men (straight or gay) are not aroused by children, period.

• 1 decade ago

child sexual abuse happens in all organizations, the catholic church gets a bigger response from the media then say public school teachers and that's mainly because most mainstream media leans toward the left and dislike any forms of Christianity.

Another reason for so many people speaking up now is because the Catholic church doesn't have a hold on people as they once did.

Lastly, people are speaking up for the money.

So 3 reasons, left wing media trying to disrupt religious belief, catholic church lost it's appeal to people and it's for the money.

• 1 decade ago

Define "So much" as compared to the rest of the world, other religions, sectors, and even against the Protestant faith. You will see that the RCC rate of incident is less than 1%... but you can not say this about anywhere else.

• 1 decade ago

I've heard they weren't allowed to marry because the catholic church didn't want them to have anyone to leave their belongings to but the church.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.