Can eating a lot of salty foods cause you more heart/chest pain?

I've started eating peanut butter pretzel nuggets more, and I noticed that I've been having more chest pain. Right now, it's stopped because I haven't been eating them as much. The pretzels do have salt on them. But is that causing me chest pain? It mostly happens at night, and keeps going after that.

VIVA LA RAZA!

Favorite Answer

Chest pain, in many cases, is related to heart burn. I've had heart burn from birth, but nowadays, I get chest pain. I asked the doctor, and he said it was because of the heart burn.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Chest-Pain-Caused-by-Hea...

So salty foods, spicy foods, a lot of carbs (white bread, pasta, etc.) can all trigger heart burn or chest pain. Maybe they just don't suit your stomach. Try stopping them for a while and see if the pain goes away.

Also, heart burn and chest pain occur at night because the food you ate wasn't digested properly. Your stomach takes more time digesting food while sleeping. As a result, some of the food along with acid goes back up into your esophagus causing either heart burn or chest pain (This sounds so repetitive. :P )

That's why doctors advise keeping a break of at least two to three hours between the last time you ate and the time you sleep. If the pain is really bothersome, then try raising your bed a little. So put a phone book between the mattress and the actual bed. It keeps the acid and food from going up.

If the pain doesn't stop, then I suggest seeing a doctor. He might tell you to take medicines such as Prilosec (what I take everyday), Nexium, Zantac, etc.

I had incredibly painful chest pains off & on. My heart was checked out and it was healthy. Long (painful) story short, my doctor & I found out it was caused by my long addiction to salty pretzels that ultimately caused the (did I say incredibly painful) pain. Learned the hard way.

While eating salty foods is not good for you, it is unlikely that it would cause immediate chest pain. The damage from eating salty foods happens over time.

• karl

1

Source(s): Fast Heartburn Relief http://AcidRefluxCure.netint.info/?AFis

too much salt, just like with too much sugar is BAD.

go for MODERATION.

but then again, it's all about how we feel personally. ask a doctor, there's never a denying (if he's the right one) that he'll getcha the answer.