Bedtime gone out of the window?

My daughter who is fast approaching 3yo, used to be great at going to bed, you could put her into bed between 7-730pm and she would maybe chat to her toys for a while but by 8pm you could guarentee she would be asleep. Thanks to the long school holidays and our family holidays etc she now refuses to stay in her... show more My daughter who is fast approaching 3yo, used to be great at going to bed, you could put her into bed between 7-730pm and she would maybe chat to her toys for a while but by 8pm you could guarentee she would be asleep. Thanks to the long school holidays and our family holidays etc she now refuses to stay in her room at bedtime, in constantly in and out, meaning some nights it can be 9pm gone before she eventually stops fighting with us and going to sleep, which makes her very cranky the next morning when we have to be up at 7am,and out of the door at 8am.
A friend suggested putting a stair gate on her bedroom & not shutting the bedroom door once we've done the going to bed routine of teeth, toilet and story and letting her have a tantrum while learning to stay in her bedroom, my OH says this would be worth a try, but I don't like the idea of 'locking' her in her bedroom, even though I know she is just messing us about!
Advice/Ideas please??
TIA. xx