Suicide rates among girls going up?

ATLANTA (AP) The suicide rate among preteen and young teen girls spiked 76 percent, a disturbing sign that federal health officials say they can't fully explain. For all young people between ages 10 to 24, the suicide rate rose 8 percent from 2003 to 2004 the biggest single-year bump in 15 years in what one official called "a dramatic and huge increase." The report, based on the latest numbers available, was released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and suggests a troubling reversal in recent trends. Suicide rates had fallen by 28.5 percent since 1990 among young people. The biggest increase about 76 percent was in the suicide rate for 10- to 14-year-old girls. There were 94 suicides in that age group in 2004, compared to 56 in 2003. The rate is still low fewer than one per 100,000 population. Suicide rates among older teen girls, those aged 15-19 shot up 32 percent; rates for males in that age group rose 9 percent. "In surveillance speak, this is a dramatic and huge increase," Dr. Ileana Arias said of the overall picture

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/09...

Favorite Answer

for sox:

High Rate Suicides Among Females in China

China is the home of the 56 percent of the world's female suicides. The rate of suicides for females in China is 33.5 per 100,000 compared to 7.1 per 100,000 in the rest of the world. The rate is particularly high among rural women between the ages of 15 and 39. Women kill themselves at double the rate of men. In most countries the suicide rate is much higher men among than women.

About three times as many rural women kills themselves as urban women. Most rural women and 58 percent of all women who attempt suicide ingest liquid pesticide. Pesticides are favored because they are readily available, cheap and effective. Some pesticides are so strong that a couple of tablespoons can kill a person in two hours.

Xie Lihua, an editor of an education magazine for rural women, told the Independent that doctors in rural Hubei province "said suicide looked like a contagious disease there; people just took their lives very lightly. People talked about this family's daughter or that family's daughter-in-law drinking pesticide very naturally, as if not a serious matter."

Women Who Have Attempted Suicide in China

Xie described one 38-year-old woman who killed herself with a bottle of pesticide apparently from the trauma of taking care of an eight-person household by herself while her husband was having an affair. After she died her 16-year-old daughter became responsible for taking care of the family. After a year of thankless labor, scolding and criticism she "joined her mother." Before drinking a bottle of pesticide, she made cloth shoes for her brothers.

Another woman refused to marry her idle brother-in-law after her husband died as is the custom in many parts of rural China. The woman left her village and remarried but the marriage feel apart because they could not have any children. Depressed she returned to her mother-in-law's house and committed suicide the next day.

Some women attempt suicide on impulse. The Washington Post described a woman in a village in that got into an argument with her husband because she couldn’t sleep because he was watching television. She stomped out of the house and grabbed bottle of pesticide and began gulping it down.

“I just drank a little bit, but it burned my throat and my mouth,” she told the Washington Post. “I took it without thinking anything deep. I just felt wronged, and I acted rashly. I never thought of the two children, not a bit. I thought of nothing.” The woman’s mother-in-law heard the argument, found the woman and knocked the pesticide bottle from her hands. The woman ended up in the hospital, forcing her family to pay a medical bill that amounted to a third of their annual income.

Reasons for Female Suicides in China

Common reasons for the suicides include unfaithful husbands, disputes over money. Canadian psychiatrist Dr. Michael Phillips told the Independent that he believed that one third to one half of female suicides "are impulsive acts that do not have an underlying major depression." Philips also believes that seeing people on television living better lives than one's own may also be a factor in the suicides.

By some estimates 80 percent of the suicide deaths are the result of conflicts between husbands and wives. Many victims are trapped in abusive marriages or live with domineering in-laws or are upset over abortions. Girls and young women are often pushed around by their fathers, brothers and mothers in law. Many young girls are virtually sold in marriages. Wives are often little more than servants in their husband’s household.

Xie told the Independent, "Suicide is not a new problem, it has existed for a long time. In traditional Chinese culture, rural women do not value themselves and are not valued by others. They take their lives very lightly. If they meet some unsolvable problems, they solve it by taking their own lives."

One reason young rural women are especially prone to attempt suicide, a Chinese expert on such matters, told the Washington Post, is that young women “are unprepared for the great shock of the life, such as family conflict and a fast-changing social environment. Most women who commit suicide have a poor education..and are strongly influenced by traditional thoughts of the old China.” One study found that a high percentage of women who attempt suicide have an average of only five years of schooling and live in households with a median income of only $13 a month. Most said they were unhappily married and, 42 percent said they had money problems and 38 percent said their husbands beat them.

One British sociologist told Reuters women between 15 and 19 years "appear to be having the most difficulty adjusting to socio-economic change. These women are often suffer tremendously in caring for their family from a young age, and live a fairly lonely existence in a harsh matriarchal society.”

• Sox

When I was 14 I was hospitalized for overdosing on Valium. That was my first attempt. Of course, I realize how ridiculously dumb that was now, but I think I can understand why people do it.

We so often talk about 'the pressures of society' causing people to do this and that. I think it's quiet the opposite. If that were true suicide rates should be going down and people in third world countries should be offing themselves like flies. I think it's much more the lack of pressure in society. I'm not saying that when I tried to kill myself I was sitting there thinking "My life is so easy! How about dying?". It's just that life IS so easy for most of us today. People in third world countries survive because they have to, whether they are running from something or searching for their next meal. We have everything we could possibly want right in front of us. All we can do is sit back and contemplate life. The suicide rate is much higher among the middle class. Famous people are four times more likely to commit suicide than the rest of us.

Of course, some people just go through terrible, terrible things and can't stand to live anymore. I am only speaking from personal experience. I am not naive enough to think a 14 year old girl raiding the medicine cabinet is the same as someone older who has faced real adversity.

• Talyn

Last year and the year before when I was 14 and 13 respectively, I thought about committing suicide. Because these two girls made my life miserable. They verbally abused me, told me that I was "immature, annoying, nobody really likes you" . I am really afraid of people leaving me, so that's why I try to be the best at what I do i.e. sing, dance, spell , just be knowledgeable about things in general, and try to be funny. 96.5% of the time I succeed in at least one of those areas on any given day. But they made me question my existence. They made me really take a look at myself.

"What am I contributing to society? Am I really loved? If I were to stop being smart and funny and good at acquiring knowledge like I do, would anyone want to be my friend? Will I ever be able to let someone in my life and actually love me? Will I ever love? Will I be alone for the rest of my life? Do I WANT to be alone? Do I want to get married? What the hell do I want?!"

And so I thought about hanging myself in the shed up the hill of our driveway, but then I talked to my teacher and she hugged me and cried with me the next day at school and I feel better now. These depressive spells last about a month and a half at the most. It's been 5 months since then, and I haven't been feeling like that.. knock on wood. :/

I'd say its probably because of a couple of things:

1) Earlier and earlier, little girls are becoming more concerned with physical attractiveness. 80% of 10 YEAR OLD girls diet. Between elementary and high school, the percentage of girls in the U.S. who are "happy with the way I am" drops from 60% to 29%. http://www.ustrek.org/odyssey/semester1/111800/111...

2) Social networking sites (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc...) make it easier to be horrible to other people since its anonymous. These sites make it super easy to post comments that you would NEVER say to the victim in real life.

When 80% of little girls already feel like they're not good enough and go on diets and when only 29% of teenagers are happy with themselves, this increase in suicides make sense.

Its all those photoshopped images in the pop-culture media telling them they don't measure up, I suspect.

It's still nowhere near the young male suicide rate.

Sox has absolutely nailed it, nothing more can be said really.

men hold the record for suicide! they get taunted otherwise.

You blow your brains out just like a girl!

You slash your wrists just like a girl!

SOOAH -SIDE! SOOAH -SIDE! yaaaAAAAYYYY TEAM!!

• D V

Nice. Now all it has to do is quadruple and we'll finally have equality.

"It's still nowhere near the young male suicide rate."

I didn't realize it was a competition.