J asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Can you wash white socks with colors?

My socks are pretty much the only white clothing I have, so I hate to do such a small load of whites just to get clean socks. Is it ok to throw them in with my colored load?

Favorite Answer

You can, but personally I would suggest washing your loads on cold if you do. Lets say you put a brand new red shirt in your load along with your white socks and then put it on "hot." Then you most likely would get pink socks. Dark clothing you have had for a while probably wont bleed like that, but with new stuff be careful. Overall, I would wash it all in cold.

Colorful Nike Socks

• Mina

Like people have said, new clothes and colors like red are the most likely to bleed (especially if you use hot water), but I have an anecdote:

I was at a video shoot for the Film and Video Student Association (FVSA) and one of the guys there was wearing a white FVSA t-shirt from years past. It looked almost brand new, and someone said as much, commenting that theirs was nowhere near as white. He replied that he had no idea how it stayed so white, as he never bothered to separate his colors from his whites.

After that, I got a lot more careless about separating things (obviously stuff I wanted to bleach like dirty towels got their own load but any other white stuff just went wherever) and everything looks about the same to me. So yeah, I'd worry more about getting a red shirt in a load of whites with bleach (which will really make the color get all over the place and turn everything pink) than throwing a few socks in with the colors.

I've never separated my colors form my whites. My white shirts are still super white like 95 printer paper as are my socks. Only suggestion is not to, if you care if they are white, to put them in with brand spanking new, brightly colored clothes! The only opposition to that is if they are prewashed or preshrunk on the label, then most of not all of the excess dye has already been removed. Most clothes you will buy for everyday use come this way.

So basically yes, I wear my socks under my pant legs inside my shoes.. who cares if they are not white.

Source(s): I use Colorox 2 bleach. It keeps my colors bright and whites white for years!

I wash my socks with colors most of the time, but if you just bought a new deep dark colored shirt (say, purple) and you wash it with your white socks, expect some shades of purple in your socks. So, if the clothes you're washing with them are not new, and have been washed a few times before, it should be fine. The only problem, if you're washing a sweater with your socks, expect some colored lint on your socks from the sweater.

It depends. If you are washing BRAND NEW colored clothing with the white socks, then they WILL turn a different color, but if the colored clothes have been washed numerous times, then it won't affect the color of them.

Sure, but some of the colors will bleed, giving your socks a lite discoloration

• gsjjs1

You can wash them with colors but over time they will get dingy. Once they get dingy do a separate load of whites, using vinegar instead of bleach, and they will get white again.

They are socks. no one will see them. unless youre one of those people who wear there socks up to theyre knees, which with white socks, is gross.

• Yeah! They get even whiter if you put them with colors. It's simple Logic. Its not like your gonna end up with Pink Socks.