Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Can the GOP Really Take the Senate?

The GOP would need to pick up 9 seats (highly unlikely) or 8 and get Joe Lieberman to vote with them. Lieberman is all ready on his way out of the senate in 2012; however, if he switched to Republican, I am sure that Connecticut voters would seal his fate and not support another independent candidacy.

But, to achieve this goal, Republicans would have to win in Delaware where Christie O'Donell is 20 points behind in the polls. They would have to win in Alaska where Sen. Lisa Murkowski's independent candidacy will likely split the GOP vote in half. They would half to win Obama's senate seat in Illinois (not likely), and pick up Chris Dodd's seat in the democratic stronghold of Connecticut.

What do you think?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, If the GOP were to win control of the Senate, it would be far harder for Obama to fill the judicial ranks with very liberal appointees in 2011 and 2012. The chair of the Judiciary Committee decides when there are hearings. That is far more power than having to filibuster every nominee.

Conservatives and Republican voters have to see the bigger threat -- which is not moderate Republicans, the Republicans who may have the best chance of winning in some states or districts. The threat is where the county winds up if Democrats remain in power. If you want bigger deficits, more spending, more czars, more commissions, higher taxes, more regulations on business -- a job-killing economy, where the ultimate goal of those in power is to redistribute, not grow the pie -- then stick to the GOP civil war, and the Democrats will survive, even in what should be a very bad year for them. Our side needs to aim its fire in only one direction: toward throwing the Democrats out of power. o_O

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I seriously doubt it. There isn't enough support for either party at this time for any major shifts to occur. 9/33 seats is a huge shift in seats and I just don't see it happening. Neither the Republican Party nor the Democratic Party have enough support to be able to make a huge splash like the Dems did in 06 and 08.

• 9 years ago

It looks like they are a lock to pick up at least five seats. They are either ahead or statistically tied in enough additional races to take the Senate, but the "perfect storm" would have to take place for them to win all of these races.

It would be the most remarkable win in recent American political history if they did.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

If you were able to understand the text you linked-to it would be OBVIOUS to you that "Creating American Jobs and Ending Off-shoring Act’" is an extremely DISHONEST name. 1) It offers a ONE TIME incentive for incurring a LONG-TERM liability 2) It taxes things you NO LONGER DO. Reduce your payroll? You STILL HAVE TO PAY THE SAME PAYROLL TAX. I realize that as a Democrat you are REQUIRED to act as though you really believe those things would be helpful. 100% of the sane know better. I'll bite though. Go ahead: > Explain how spending MORE for the SAME service INSTEAD of spending on MORE SERVICES promotes recovery as you claim. > Explain how being taxed MORE promotes recovery as you claim.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

We only need control of one chamber to derail 0-bama's agenda and the house is looking like a really attainable goal.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The House of Representatives, maybe.

The Senate, no chance.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes

• 9 years ago

Dose it matter both parties are but two heads of the same beast .

• 9 years ago

nothin happens til it happens. November is almost 2 mos away.

i see this playing out the way you see it....but ya just never know....

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

No, they lose support by the day. It will only get worse for them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.