breast cancer tumor markers up?

I am 3 years out from my Breast Cancer diagnosis. i received Chemo, radiation and double mastectomy.

My tumor markers are climbing from 39 last Sept 09 to 45 in Mar 2010 and now at 55 in Sept 2010.

I had a PET scan (my first) in Feb 2010 which was clean. What would cause a increase in my markers besides my cancer returning?

Favorite Answer

Generally tumor markers are used to monitor patients. Your doctor is not using them to diagnose you that was done 3 years ago. My question is what tumor markers are you referring to? Breast tumor makers are used to determine treatment not to monitor patients. If you specify what you are referring to I should be able to answer you.

Source(s): I am a cancer registrar.

Tumor markers are not a reliable indicator in early stage breast cancer (meaning, other than stage 4).

They are not recommended in the Standards of Care used by ASCO. If your oncologist uses them, it is against the recommendations of his professional organization.

I wouldn't worry too much. Many things can cause marker numbers to rise. That's why they are considered unreliable for early stage breast cancer.

1/uhealthy food ,always be considering of a fresh food ,and evade the preservative food as much s you can ,and lessen the fats.

2/ checking your breast periodically by palpation .and by regular clinic check