Peter asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

THERMODYNAMICS QUESTIONS (HELP NEEDED AGAIN PLEASE!!!)?

((1))

Suppose you are given the following equation of state between the entropy S, the

volume V, the internal energy U, and the number of particles N of a thermodynamic

system:

S = A[NVU]^(1/3)

where A is a constant. Derive a relation among:

i) U, N, V and T.

ii) the pressure p, N, V and T.

iii) What is the specific heat at constant volume?

Now assume two identical bodies each consisting of a material which obeys the above

equation of state. N and V are the same for both, and they are initially at temperatures

T1 and T2 respectively. They are to be used as a source of work by bringing them to a

common temperature Tf. This process is accomplished by the withdrawal of heat from

the hotter body and the insertion of some fraction of this heat into the colder body,

with the remainder appearing as work.

iv) What is the range of possible final temperatures?

v) What Tf corresponds to the maximum delivered work, and what is this

maximum amount of work?

((2))

Einstein’s model of a solid:

i) Calculate the partition function for a harmonic oscillator in 3-dimensions.

i) From this calculate the specific heat for a solid containing identical N atoms?

iii) Describe the low and high temperature behaviour of the specific heat, pointing

out in which temperature regimes you think the model is valid and where it is

not. In the case of where the model is not valid write a brief description (no

more than half a page) as to how you might improve this model.

((3))

Consider a system of two particles (number of particles is fixed), each of

which can be in any one of three quantum states, with respective energies 0, ε and 3ε.

The system is at temperature T. What is the partition function if the particles obey

i) Fermi-Dirac statistics?

ii) Bose-Einstein statistics?

PLEASE ONCE AGAIN PROVIDE AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

S = A[NVU]^(1/3) ...... (1)

where A is a constant. Derive a relation among:

i) U, N, V and T.

Use basic relation from exact differential of Maxwell relation.

T = (dU/dS)v, v outside the bracket indicates derivation of constant volume

T = (1 / dS/dU)v, S = A[NVU]^(1/3)

T = 3*U^(2/3) / A[NV]^(1/3)

3*U^(2/3) = T* A[NV]^(1/3)

U^(2/3) = T* A[NV]^(1/3) /3

U^2 = T^3*A^3*NV / 27

U = [TA]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2) ...... (2)

ii) the pressure p, N, V and T.

-P = (dF/dV)T ..... (3)

F = Helmholtz free energy

Let solve for Helmholtz free energy by using its definition.

F = U - TS ......... (4)

(1)--(4)

F = U - TA[NVU]^(1/3) ......... (5)

(2) --> (5)

F = [TA]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2) - TA[NV]^(1/3) * {[TA]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2)}^1/3 .. (6)

(6) --> (3)

-P = (dF/dV)T

-P = (d{[TA]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2) - TA[NV]^(1/3)*{[TA]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2)}^1/3}/dV)T

-P = [TA]^(3/2)*[N]^1/2 / 2*[27V]^(1/2) - 0.5*TA[N]^(1/3) * {[TA]^(3/2)*[N]^1/2 / 27^(1/2)}^1/3} / V^1/2

P = 0.5*TA[N]^(1/3) * {[TA]^(3/2)*[N]^1/2 / 27^(1/2)}^1/3} / V^1/2 - [TA]^(3/2)*[N]^1/2 / 2*[27V]^(1/2)

iii) What is the specific heat at constant volume?

Cv = (dU/dT)v, by definition

Cv = (d{[TA]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2)}/dT)v

Cv = 3/2*T^(1/2)[A]^(3/2)*[NV]^1/2 / 27^(1/2)

Cv = {1.5*[A]^(3/2)*[NVT]^1/2} / {27^(1/2)}

(2) Not familiar with statistical thermodynamic.

• 4 years ago

Isaac Newton - was once hounded contained in direction of the church for his innovations and if he had much less political secure practices he might desire to have been burned on the stake. Galileo Galilei - He was once censured contained in direction of the church and was once one step from being burned on the stake, His chum and fellow scientist Bruno was once because of the certainty that he did no longer have nicely political connections. Nicolaus Copernicus - did no longer unencumber his findings till he was once on his dying mattress because of the certainty that he knew that the church might desire to burn him on the stake thinking the certainty that of his artwork. Lord Kelvin - reported x-rays are a faux and guy might desire to certainly no longer fly whether they have been offered to him. I honestly have an impediment with that time of insanity. If I had the time to benefit the entertainment i think i might desire to locate out many same concerns approximately them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.