RT
RT asked in SportsTennis · 9 years ago

Should I tryout for my highschool tennis team this year? Help!?

I have recently started playing tennis with my dad, and I have really liked it. My parents want me to tryout for the highschool tennis team this spring, and I dont think I am good enough. My forehand is getting a lot better, my backhand is getting there, and i can serve it into the box, just not very fast. Should I tryout? I am a junior and a male. Should I get a couple of lessons before I start? Will all the other kids be really good? What should I expect (what was your highschool tennis team like)?Any pointers would be appreciated thanks

Best Answer

In short, yes, it can't hurt to try.

But if you have played less than a year, the chances you will get in are slim, but if your talented or very good at another sport, then you do have a fair chance against others. A couple of private lessons would be great if possible to straighten out any problems you have in your technique. In the team, I would imagine there would be a couple of standouts, and the rest of the team is about the same level. If you can serve then theoretically you have no problems, but playing with your dad is fairly different than playing competitivley. Remember, tennis is about consistency, until you reach the top 20 in the world, and that said, your only as good as your second serve.

I played Freshmen tennis; so therefore, most of the students were amateurs at best. It was fun and new. Well, somewhat new and fun, I played since age 9 as a recreational sport only. My ex-high school couch made us *routinely run a mile for exercises.

I do recommend a couple of mini lessons if you want to go pro (haha I mean Varsity) with this. If your school is not a sports fanatic school, then likely most of the kids will not be anything more then amateurs. If you are pretty good now, then you could probably win a tournament next spring. What do you have to lose? Nothing. So just try-out.

Have some FAITH!

*Routinely- As in every dang day.

Source(s): I play.

I'm a high schooler and I do have friends on the tennis team. It really doesn't matter what level of skill you have because that's what the coach is there for, my friends have been on the team for a year and yet I can still have a good match with them even though I only had three days of lesson before. You should go out and try, I guarantee you won't regret it, I'm a senior and I regret not joining sports teams because now my college applications look empty. Go out and have some fun you have nothing to lose.

dude from my experience go check out the girls who are playing in the tennis team make sure their a good team an they have a good coach, i played four years varsity but it was in a sorry school so if u have a great team in your school i advise you to join it really becomes a competitive sport an its loads of fun by my senior year i ended up second place in the city tournament an place fifth in league, so look at the coach an make sure ur dedicated

aww Robby you should. its funny because i wanted to try out for the tennis team in the spring too! well at my school people arent really that good. i've been playing tennis on and off since i was 11. so i pretty good. i think you should definitely go for it. and then if you feel you need lessons. take lessons. miss you find me on facebook.

Ciao =)

Being on the tennis team is fun! You can't be anymore not on the team than you are now haha. Give it a shot. Good luckk :))

Dude, I didn't even read your entire description and I already know the answer is "DUH"..

What's the worst that can happen? Rejection? Pfft,

you will never make the team if you don't try out first dude

Go for it!!