drivers license reinstated in california?

i recently got a dui in april finished all my dui/alcohol classes got an SR22 and took that to the dmv in hollywood they said that i could get my full license back on october 7th (exactly 6 months after it was suspended) although it says to get ur full license back on the ca dmv website you only have to wait 4 months which would have been aughust 7th for me but i got a letter from the dmv in the mail today saying "your privledge to operate a motor vehicle is REINSTATED effective September 9, 2010. does this mean that i can drive again? or do i have to wait until october 7th? thanks for your help!

Update:

the letter from the DMV i recieved did not say my license was restricted or "conditional" though so because it says on the california DMV website that first time DUI offenders only have to wait 4 months to get it back with full privledges which is long over im assuming that i can drive fully now?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

You have a "Conditional" license until October 7th. You need to know the conditions so you don't violate the terms and conditions until October 7th. You can drive now, but it's conditional. The DMV should have explained the conditions while you were there. I had a friend that had to call into the local Police Department any time he drove his car anywhere. He had to tell the Police where he was going and when he was returning home. He had to do this during the "Conditional" period.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Vehicle History Report Database - http://VehicleHistory.siopu.com/?vuSg
  • 9 years ago

This is a very very good / interesting question..

Most people are so confused about the entire process, they don't bother to question why their license is restricted for so long...So bare with me, this is as confusing as it seems and good luck finding a DMV employee who knows the process well enough to answer it for you.

What you are experiencing is the battle between the court's jurisdiction and the DMV.

In California

For a over 21 years old first offense without refusal, you fail to contact DMV within 10 days or contact DMV and lose the DMV hearing, your license will be suspended for 4 months. You can choose apply for a restricted license which would then give you 30 days of a suspension followed by 5 months of a restricted license.

But lets say you win the DMV hearing and DMV doesn't take your license for 4 months.

However, you plead guilty in court for a DUI. Seeing that you were convicted, DMV would suspend your license for 6 months whereby you would be immediately eligible for a restricted license.

But lets say you didn't contact DMV and your license immediately suspends, but you don't plead guilty in court, for whatever reason, till 10 months after the arrest. In that circumstance, you would have spent either 4 months of a hard suspension for the 30 day plus 5 months restricted you'd get from DMV along with an ADDITIONAL 6 MONTH restricted license due to the court conviction.

So, for you, LOOK AT THE DAY YOUR LICENSE STARTED TO SUSPEND, and the Date you plead guilty in court. Example: Arrested on January 1, 2010, license began to suspend January 30, 2010 for 4 months, which would make you eligible for full reinstatement on around May 1, 2010.

Now, factor in the fact you plead guilty on March 1, 2010, You'll be eligible around September 1, 2010 for full reinstatement of your driver's license. Thus, making the entire action against your license from January 30, 2010 to September 1, 2010.

Had you plead guilty in court THE EXACT SAME DATE YOUR LICENSE BEGAN TO SUSPEND, or under this example, January 30, 2010, you'd be eligible to get full reinstatement around August 1, 2010.

REALLY CONFUSING, right? And that's only for a First Offense DUI.

This is a prime example of why a DUI attorney can be extremely helpful during your DUI case. If the attorney expects a suspension and court conviction, we try to correlate the suspension dates as much as possible so that our clients can get their full reinstatement of their license as soon as humanly possible.

To speak to an experienced DUI attorney about your DUI and/or DMV issues, call 877-717-2889 for a free consultation.

Disclaimer

Information on this site is strictly for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice for any individual case or legal situation nor does this site create an attorney client relationship.

• ken k
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

sept 9 was the day

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.