can I use gelatin powder instead of Tylose powder?

I've made fondant before to cover a cake, however now I want to try making stand up characters to add to it. Almost every recipe calls for something called Tylose powder or gum-tex. I haven't been able to find anything like this in Brisbane, Australia. I know you can buy it in specialty cake supply stores, but I am unable to get to one at this present time. I was wondering if I could just sprinkle some gelatin into the fondant instead? Will it have the same effect? I am making curlicues if that helps? Also, do I need to add water to the gelatin powder, and prepare it as normal. Or can I just sprinkle the powder straight into the fondant?

Favorite Answer

Gelatin probably isn't going to help you out much. What I would do is use your fondant as is but allow it to dry for one or two days, then attach to your cake.

Source(s): I make wedding and celebrations cakes for a living.

In Australia it is known as Plastic Icing. The term plastic is a good description - according to the dictionary it means supple and pliable, exactly how it is. Other names used are fondant icing (real fondant is melted and poured over cakes) rolled fondant, satin icing, mallow paste, moulded icing and gelatine icing.

The icing can be made at home, and the ingredients include egg white, liquid glucose, icing sugar and gelatine. Liquid glucose will keep the paste pliable and gelatine allows it to stretch. Sugar-paste has many uses. It can be used for modelling figures, flowers and leaves. It can be crimped (marked with a tool, rather like a pair of tweezers) smocked, embossed, draped and used to make edible frills. Also by softening it with a few drops of water, or egg white, it can be piped. So as you can see it is a very versatile icing.

However, its main use is still as a coating for cakes.

ingredients:

1 tabsp gelatine: 1/4 cup water,

1/2 cup glucose

1 tabsp glycerine

2 lbs pure icing sugar

For smaller quantity half or quarter the amounts

Sprinkle gelatine in cup with water and let it dissolve slowly...or very carefully slightly warm in micro oven.

combie glucose and glycerine add the melted gelatine...mix well ,then sift in the pure icing sugar a little at a time.

Sift some of the remaining 1/2 pound of sugar onto a clean work surface. Any leftover sugar can be added back into the fondant mixture, as needed.

Knead the fondant. Turn the fondant onto the powdered work surface and knead until it forms a smooth, pliable mass, adding more sugar if necessary.

. Place the wrapped fondant in a tightly sealed container to stop it from drying out. The fondant will last for approximately six days, if kept in the refrigerator.

What Is Tylose Powder

That is unusual as I would think milk would be cheap and plentiful in your part of the world. It could be a waste issue, or a cost cutting measure. You could bring a little from home, if you have some where cool to store it, or have a Thermos flask.