best powder for 7mm 168 grain sierra matchking hollowpoint bullet?

im reloading 7 mag bullets using the match king bullets and i would like to know what powder works best.

Update:

and im looking for the most accurate not the fastest

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I am assuming that you mean the 7mm Remington Magnum, as opposed to the other various 7mm Magnums. You mentioned the 168 grain Sierra MatchKing --- so I went to directly to the Sierra Reloading Manual, since this one has specific data for the 168 gr. Sierra MatchKing bullet.

The most recent Sierra Reloading Manual lists "Reloader 19" as the most accurate powder for the 7mm Remington Magnum and a 168 gr Sierra MatchKing bullet.

It lists the most accurate load as 63.1 gr of "Reloader 19" (or RE19), at a velocity of 2950 fps.

Their test rifle was a Savage model 116 with a 26" barrel, and 1 in 9" twist.

If for some reason, you were referring to a different 7mm, Sierra lists the following as the most accurate powders for the 168 gr Sierra MatchKing:

7mm WSM RE 22

7mm STW RE 25

7mm Weatherby Viht N165

7mm RUM no listing

Source(s): Sierra Reloading Manual
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Might be a good idea if you got the reloading manual and looked it up yourself. Sierra will give you all the pointers you need in the book. The only thing they don't say is what brass works best...that you have to figure out. The will however tell you the case over all length (OAL) how far to seat it to the optimum bullet OAL. They give you quite a selection of powders with loads and most of the time will have a section below the chart with what the best target and/ or hunting loads are. Always start, when you are working up a load, at least 10% less grains of powder than the stated maximum. This is for safety sake. When you crony it you can figure out how much (if any) grains to increase the next set to and so on.

It all comes down to this..READ THE MANUAL FRONT TO BACK. It will take you a while but you'll understand so much more and be a lot safer than someone just winging it.

Source(s): 35+ years a sportsman.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

It would be easier for you to consult a reloading manual. The loads listed in there are basically suggested loads and there is nothing written in stone about what is going to work best. It's usually a matter of trial and error. I once encountered a guy shooting .300 Winchester magnum reloads who was concerned because the chronometer was giving him velocities reminiscent of what one might have expected from a .30-06. But he was getting superb 200 yard groups.

• 10 years ago

Nobody will know what works best in your rifle, but I load mine with IMR 4350.

Check out the link below, it will give you a good idea what powders work with the 7 mag, and you can go from there.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

7mm Stw Load Data

• 10 years ago

Varget

• 10 years ago

hornady.com is a very informative resource for anything to do with ammo,ballistics, and various powders too, or you could look up the handloadersbible.com

• 10 years ago

It would have been helpful if you'd said which cartridge you're putting it in. Something slow. You're also going to have to try several, because the harmonics of your barrel aren't going to be the same as those in another.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.