Man asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

what is it called when the story is told by all of the characters points of views?

I want to find more books like this: Say the first chapter is called "Tiffany", and it tells her story, then it goes on to "Edwardo" and tells about what he's going through, then to some other character, then back to Tiffany and so on. What is that called? Thank youu

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think you mean Multiple First-Person.

William Faulkner's 'As I Lay Dying' is a prime example of the use of multiple first-person. Each chapter is devoted to the voice of a single character after whom it is titled. http://www.amazon.com/As-Lay-Dying-Corrected-Text/...

Some others;

Love Medicine & The Beet Queen both by Louise Erdrich

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Setting Free the Bears by John Irving

No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman

Last Orders by Graham Swift

Talking it Over by Julian Barnes

The Guardians by Ana Castillo

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

If This World Were Mine by E. Lynn Harris

The Last Station: A Novel of Tolstoy's Final Year by Jay Parini

World War Z (An Oral History of the Zombie War) by Max Brooks

Alternatively, you could be talking about omniscient third-person. The narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of all of the characters in the story, as opposed to third person limited, which adheres closely to one character's perspective. This doesn't tend to have a chapter per character format though, so I'm more inclined to think you mean multiple first-person.

• 1 decade ago

If each chapter is in first person, it would just be first person with more than one narrator. If it's in third person, then it would be 3rd person limited with multiple narrators or 3rd person omniscient.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.