Atheists: Did you know the pope essentially called you Nazi's? Not saying I agree, but, What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11332515

I really love NPR and the BBC, such interesting stories.

"Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their lives. As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny” (Caritas in Veritate, 29).

(http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/spe...

ADD: Yeah, that's in one of the BBC articles that he was a "Nazi" when he was young, seemingly against his will?

Either way, I just find this interesting, not trying to get everyone to insult him. Also I do not agree with his teachings or that of his religion and their actions, especially of all the abuses.

Favorite Answer

His stated aim for his visit to Britain was to "build bridges" but as soon as he arrived he delivered a profound insult to the millions of British citizens who are atheists then attacked the very basis of our society - secularism.

Did he imagine this would win us round and make us all convert to Catholicism?

A few facts for him:

1 - We are well aware that he was an actual Hitler Youth member

2 - Hitler's Enabling Act of 1933 specifically attacked atheists and atheist organisations

3 - The Vatican City is only a state because of a 1929 agreement with Mussolini, the fascist dictator who allied with the Nazis in World War 2

One of his predecessors was directly responsible for signing a concordant with Hitler thus promising Catholic officials stepping aside in order for Hitler to come to power in exchange for religious education privileges

When approx 2,000 Jews, including children, were being rounded up just outside the Vatican the Catholic faithful did and said nothing. A small number of priests stood up for what was right but they were not supported by the Vatican

So linking atheism with Nazism is totally inappropriate and smacks of double standards

Incidentally, it was fear of Communist Russia - and the effect Communism would have on the church that prompted the Pope then to sign the concordant with Hitler

Interestingly enough...Hitler used god as a pawn in his game, as christians blamed the jews for crucifying jesus which made it all that much easier to use the jews as a scapegoat for the economic troubles Germany had at the time.

Little do they realize the economic troubles were due to the reparations germany was forced to make after WWI (treaty of Versailles) .....not the jews.

God is an excuse and a catalyst used by the powerful to implement their agendas. That is all.

The Pope was a Nazi, Hitler wanted another 1000 year Reich (Holy Roman Empire) and expressed his Christianity in hundreds of speeches, he had no wish to eradicate god from any society, he wished to use that futile notion in order to control his subjects. Rather like the Pope.

Machine-gun toting Benedictine monks fought for Hitler and were responsible for thousands of deaths, mostly Orthodox Christians if I remember rightly, by forcing them over cliffs.

I have no idea about what he was waffling on about, but I wouldn`t trust a word of what he says because he is portraying lies as fact in just that one statement that you quote.

We aren`t all stupid.

• Glee

I'm so glad that he demonstrated that not only does he not have a direct link to God, but that he is ignorant of his own history. Nazis did not like atheists. Hitler claimed again and again to be killing Jews in the name of God the almighty creator.

Seriously, fvck the Pope. He protected child rapists and helped them find fresh victims to bugger. He told people in AIDS plagued Africa that condoms cause AIDS. He claims that homosexuals are inherently evil.

He's sexist and he was a Nazi!

I don't want a guy like that to like me.

EDIT: 2McB, lying for Jesus is still lying.

Atheists aren't Nazis.

The Pope WAS a Nazi - a member of the Hitler Youth - and as far as I know, he's quite unrepentant about it.

I'd say it's definitely a case of the pot callin' the kettle black.

My best friend is Catholic, and I've liked the previous two popes (as much as someone Jewish can, I guess). But the more I hear from THIS pope, the less respect I have for the man.

He's the head of an organization that, in the past at least, has been responsible for wars, torture, executions, and a host of other nastiness, and currently is trying to downplay and cover up a global scandal of decades (if not more) of child abuse and sexual misconduct.

Somehow I find myself finding it difficult to care about this man's moral assessment of me based solely on the fact that I don't believe in a god.

I actually find it humerous. There's no correlation between Hitler and being an atheist. Hitler identified himself as Roman Catholic. The Pope's statements are like saying, "Hitler likes his bread toasted... And he's a maniac that killed millions while trying to take over the world... Think about that next time you toast your bread."

• Harry

I'm unconcerned with the moral value judgments of a man who protects rapists over children.

It would be like caring if Ted Bundy criticized my behavior towards women.

As a former member of the Hitler Youth, who has paedophiles in his employ, I think he can hardly take the moral high ground.