Cross Country Traveling w/ Old Car! Tips? What should I have my mechanic check on before I leave?

I have a 2000 Ford Focus (150k miles) that has been through a lot. But, it's the only way to get from here to there...and I need to get away from here ....and over there. I plan on travelling at night to try and avoid temperature issues if I can. (I'll be going through the SouthWest) And I'm... show more I have a 2000 Ford Focus (150k miles) that has been through a lot.

But, it's the only way to get from here to there...and I need to get away from here ....and over there.

I plan on travelling at night to try and avoid temperature issues if I can.
(I'll be going through the SouthWest)

And I'm gonna test drive it a little and have my wife drive the other car behind me and see if she notices parts falling off or wheels wobbling like spinning plates or anything.

I also plan on taking it in to our mechanic guy before I leave and want to know what specifically I should ask him to look at.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Also, any suggestions for taking an old, beat up car long distance?

For instance: Maybe I should only drive it for 5 hours a day MAX ....or something?
I have no idea. So any suggestions or experiences you got are great.