Houseplants from WA into CA?

Moving to San Diego in 2 wks. Can I take some of my houseplants into CA?

Favorite Answer

the usual rule is that common houseplants that live inside all the time are fine.... but other plants are not.... leave them in new homes and don't let yourself in for a lot of aggravation, should you be stopped and your plants confiscated.... besides.... it's only good stewardship.... it was an innocent thing that brought the fly that almost ruined CA's citrus crop.... and it's innocent folks moving stuff around the country that gets some of this bad stuff going... like Sudden Oak Death.... remember that one?... nursery shipments across the country and now our oaks are in trouble.... and there's so much more....

so, if you have plants that live in potting soil, have been inside or in a greenhouse all the time, they should be okay.... plants in native soil, that could be diseased or harboring bad bugs should not go... plants that have spent the summer outside and might have attracted mites, aphids, soil bugs and other nasties should stay where they are.....

thanks for asking first.... shows you to be a good heart.....here's the County Extension offices in CA.... find the one you're moving to and call them and ask about your houseplants coming with you.... they'll have the right info....

http://ucanr.org/County_Offices/

Movers won't take them. We recently moved from LA to Florida and I had to send the movers with my stuff and put whatever plants I could in my car when I drove out. You don't stop at the D of A like you do coming into the state. So you can take them out. Good luck!

Yes of course, anything you want to take. Check this site for some tips http://www.squidoo.com/flowers-94579

They can't control the border against anything else, what makes you think they would notice your house plants?

Why not? Who is going to stop you?