Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Synonyms that work in this sentence?

Canada should abandon its (unbeneficial) peaceful customs, have the ability to invade weaker nations, slaughter innocent citizens, and gain rights to all of their valuable resources; in turn, this would 'augment the country's economy.'

I'm just wondering what better word I can use when I want to state that Canada's peaceful customs are unbeneficial/useless/unproductive.

I also want to know whether 'Augment the country's economy.' makes sense.

• holly
    Favorite Answer

Unbeneficial Synonym

In place of unbeneficial, you could use "detrimental"; it's possibly a bit stronger word and actually implies that its peaceful customs hinder progress.

You could, as well, say "boost" the country's economy.

or

"supplement" the country's economy.

Your phrase is fine as well though.

harmful, destructive, deconstructive

if augment doesn't sound right to you, you can always say "strenghten"