My daughter wants chicken gumbo for her birthday, anyone have a good Chicken Gumbo recipe?

my daughter wants Chicken gumbo for her birthday anyone have a good recipe?

Best Answer

This is my family recipe, enjoy it's as authentic as you can get.

* 4 tbsp Real butter

* 2 tbsp butter milk or cream

* 2 tbsp Flour,all-purpose

* 2 Onions thickly chopped

* 1 Green bell pepper,fine chop

* 1 jalapeno pepper, fine chop

* 5 cups Warm chicken broth

* 6 Tomatoes,peeled/chopped

* 1/2 lb Okra,sliced (you can use frozen if you want)

* 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning (see sources for my creole recipe!)

* 2 pieces of celery,chopped

* dash of Salt

* dash of Black Pepper

* 1/4 tsp Thyme

* 1 Bay leaf

* 1 tp red pepper (for kids use 1/4 tp)

* 1 large hen (in tack you want to used everything, neck inards)

Now you want to make a roux, brown some butter in a large pot or ducth oven, on low heat add your flour cook until it's brown brown brown! than add the milk and stir until it's creamy looking. Now Add onions and peppers cook until for roughly 5 mins. Slowly add warm broth stir until broth reaches a boil. Now add everything else except that chicken.

Chicken: before you do anything you'll want to cut the chicken in half remove everything inside with some garlic and butter fry the insides of the chicken until they are cook (add some garlic) place the chicken open like a butterfly broil it until it's 1/2 cooked. (on both sides.) cut the chicken like a fryer (in quarters and remove legs and wings) cut up the chicken inards until they are just small diced pieces.

Once you have the chicken ready add it to the gumbo along with all the chicken inards. Stir and cook, covered, 45 minutes longer.

serve over steamed rice!

Jamie's Mommy- you can't have a roux without cream or buttermilk! :(

Source(s): Creole seasoning 2 tablespoons dry crushed shrimp 2 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons garlic powder 1 tablespoon black pepper 1 tablespoon onion powder 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon dried thyme Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup most of my family is from the bayou
  • Emma

Here are a bunch of Gumbo recipes that are easy to cook - http://www.gourmet-living.com/category.html?catego...

poultry GUMBO a million frying poultry a million onion a million slice 1st baron beaverbrook or salt beef a million can tomatoes 2 quarts water a million eco-friendly bell pepper a million purple bell pepper 2 cans okra a million/2 cup rice, cooked a million tablespoon clean parsley, minced salt and pepper to style Fry a million poultry. while accomplished, disguise with boiling water and cook dinner till it relatively is able to crumble. get rid of the poultry, place in a dish to relax, and pour the broth into the soup pot. upload poultry, minced or shredded very advantageous. Fry a million onion with a million slice of salt beef or 1st baron beaverbrook. Rinse the skillet out with somewhat warm water and pour each and every thing into the soup. positioned a million can of tomatoes directly to boil with 2 quarts of water. Slice a million eco-friendly pepper and a million small purple pepper very advantageous and upload to tomatoes. Boil 2 hours. Take 2 cans of okra, heavily removing each and every of the complicated pods, a million/2 cup of rice, and a million tablespoon of minced parsley. upload to the soup and simmer a million hour longer. Season with salt and black pepper to style. for the duration of the Summertime, 2 or 3 ears of corn, decrease and scraped, make a severe-high quality addition. If wanted, serve with a million spoonful of boiled rice to each soup plate.

PLEASE make it a few times before her birthday. It *can* be tricky.

Do you know how to make a roux? Flour and butter or oil until its the color of a copper penny.

16 oz diced tomatoes

Chicken, diced (I usually use about 1 1/2 cups)

Shrimp (precooked frozen salad shrimp from Walmart, its the like 120-160 in a bag, use all)

Sausage (1 link is usually plenty)

Frozen or fresh okra, NOT breaded!!!! (about 1 cup or so, depends on how much you want)

Chicken broth

Italian seasoning (1 tsp or so)

Oregano (1/4 tsp)

Bay leaves (2)

Salt and pepper

Tony Chachere's seasoning

Make your roux, remove from heat, LET IT COOL. Add broth, seasonings to roux, whisk REALLY WELL, add everything else, simmer for 30 min to 1 hr. I personally like parboiled rice with it, and saltines.

Source(s): Umm.... I live in the South.... I cook this A LOT. I beg to differ. We never use cream or buttermilk... And neither did the restaurant I worked at for over a year....