This is my family recipe, enjoy it's as authentic as you can get.
* 4 tbsp Real butter
* 2 tbsp butter milk or cream
* 2 tbsp Flour,all-purpose
* 2 Onions thickly chopped
* 1 Green bell pepper,fine chop
* 1 jalapeno pepper, fine chop
* 5 cups Warm chicken broth
* 6 Tomatoes,peeled/chopped
* 1/2 lb Okra,sliced (you can use frozen if you want)
* 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning (see sources for my creole recipe!)
* 2 pieces of celery,chopped
* dash of Salt
* dash of Black Pepper
* 1/4 tsp Thyme
* 1 Bay leaf
* 1 tp red pepper (for kids use 1/4 tp)
* 1 large hen (in tack you want to used everything, neck inards)
Now you want to make a roux, brown some butter in a large pot or ducth oven, on low heat add your flour cook until it's brown brown brown! than add the milk and stir until it's creamy looking. Now Add onions and peppers cook until for roughly 5 mins. Slowly add warm broth stir until broth reaches a boil. Now add everything else except that chicken.
Chicken: before you do anything you'll want to cut the chicken in half remove everything inside with some garlic and butter fry the insides of the chicken until they are cook (add some garlic) place the chicken open like a butterfly broil it until it's 1/2 cooked. (on both sides.) cut the chicken like a fryer (in quarters and remove legs and wings) cut up the chicken inards until they are just small diced pieces.
Once you have the chicken ready add it to the gumbo along with all the chicken inards. Stir and cook, covered, 45 minutes longer.
serve over steamed rice!
Jamie's Mommy- you can't have a roux without cream or buttermilk! :(
2 tablespoons dry crushed shrimp
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
most of my family is from the bayou
· 9 years ago