What are your thoughts about the Pope's Speech?

Comparing atheists "extremism" with nazism? I don't understand because I thought Hitler was catholic in the first place. Something about avenging Christ by killing jews or whatever.The swastika(bent cross) was a symbol of Nazis so yeah @-@

How do they compare to eachother?

swatika- crooked cross, hook cross or angled cross (German: Hakenkreuz).

Favorite Answer

You did misunderstand.

Here is what the Pope really said:

Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their lives.

As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny.”

Here is the entire address: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/spe...

The Pope had just gone on to the next logical step after the Pagan Nazis. "The sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century" were from Atheistic Communism which killed many more people than the Nazis ever did.

The Pope was not comparing Atheist extremists to the Nazis, he was comparing them to the Atheistic Soviet Union and other communist regimes.

Are all Muslims offended when Muslim extremists are criticized?

Are all Christians offended when Christian extremists are criticized?

Why would all Atheists be offended when Atheist extremists are criticized?

With love in Christ.

I had heard Hitler was Catholic and that he was an atheist , so I wouldn't know what he really believed. I don't get the comparison either, and anyone can look like a Nazi if anyone feels they are being persecuted by them. I think its just a weird comparison by someone who didn't think too hard about his speech.

A swastika is a holy symbol for several eastern religions (especially Jainism), I think its supposed to represent the wheel of birth, death, and rebirth. I've never heard of anyone comparing it to a cross.

• Bucky

What was he thinking? How can you even make that comparison? I've never seen any kind of "atheist extremism" in my life. I'm an atheist and I have morals, I wish these people would learn that.

I kept seeing the banner at the bottom of sky news saying that he wants to warn us against "aggressive secularism" or whatever he called it. Sorry mate, but the majority of us aren't buying it any more. Vatican doctrine is completely out of step with British values, and I can't believe we're paying for this idiot to come and preach at us.

This isn't the only crap he came out with though. He also said today that drugs, sex, porn, alcohol and money are destructive and divisive (his own words). I can see how he can say that about drugs, porn and alcohol. But sex? Surely, if anything, sex is the complete opposite of destructive and divisive. And money? Does he keep his eyes permanently closed when he walks round the Vatican? It's one of the richest organisations in the world, what a bloody hypocrite.

This is just on top of all the other crap he's come out with over the years - condoms spreading AIDS, the idea of female priests being as evil as paedophilia, homosexuality being an evil tendency. How anyone can respect this guy is beyond me.

Sorry, I've been wanting to vent about this all day. I can't stand the bloke and his ignorant opinions.

• Hitler tried to use the Catholic Church to gain power--it didn't work.

Over 3 MILLION Catholics died during the Holocaust, does that sound like someone who is Catholic to you? Hitler demanded their deaths himself because the Pope refused to give him the 176,000 Jews in Italy.

And yes, I think there is some validity to that. The extreme Atheists believe they are only ones who are correct. All those who do not agree with atheism are idiots and below them. They see themselves as the elite because they have surpassed the need for God and ridicule those who follow Him.

They are usually hateful towards Christians (Catholicism especially) and mock us for our beliefs.

It may not have gotten to the point yet where they are trying to kill us, but it is getting there. The extreme atheists in Britian are trying to pass a law that raising your child in a religion is child abuse--an offense you could be arrested and charged for.

They are trying to exterminate us, they are just not using brute force and gas chambers to do it.

Maikeru... let's get something straight first. Just because a person is born a Catholic, does not mean they remain a Catholic all throughout there lives. This already, is your biggest fallacy in your assumption.

As for the swastika being a bent cross, you are far reaching for a tie here. Look at Buddhist, their symbol is the same, with the exception that the bent arms are pointing in opposite direction. With your poor logic, you would then say Buddhists are Catholics too? What a shame that a human brain can go to waste, just as you are displaying has happened with yours.

The Pope is both Anti-secular and anti-christ.

The forgotten history of the UK proves it. It's why the Roman Church burned not only Bibles but also those who translated the Bible into English. Rome has not changed, only her methods of deception.

Why did the Roman church reject the Protestant Reformation of the Gospel. Because the Bible showed that a person is saved by Jesus alone and not by the false works of Rome.

The confession of intimate sins to priests rather than to Christ, gives the priests power to abuse.

Source(s): www.bereanbeacon.org www.englishchurchman.com www.cofec.org

Full text below

"The monarchs of England and Scotland have been Christians from very early times and include outstanding saints like Edward the Confessor and Margaret of Scotland."

Skipping over centuries of Protestant vs Catholic conflict and warfare.

Talk about painting the picture you want to see.

" let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a "reductive vision of the person and his destiny"

A nice claiming of virtue for religion there, with no sound basis.

We atheists are moral monsters. (He gets that from the bible: see Romans 1)

"...may [the UK] always maintain its respect for those traditional values and cultural expressions that more aggressive forms of secularism no longer value or even tolerate."

I don't see any tradition as inherently good because it's been around a long time. One could think of any number of long-held beliefs and practices...

And it sounds as though most secularists are far more tolerant than the pope is.

the pope was once now not quoting any infallible dogma, so that it will be primary of his speech, the muslims bought dissatisfied over not anything and that has been verified after they honestly studied the textual content

I'm reminded of the Monty Python bit with the German war criminals trying to fit in to English society

Source(s): Heinrich Bimmler

I think it was ill-advised given that he himself is a German who was a member of the Hitler Youth (albeit he probably didn't have much choice in the matter).

But more importantly, he came to my country, at my expense (as a taxpayer) with the stated aim of building bridges and then as soon as he got here he compared me and a large proportion of British people with the Nazis.

It is an unforgiveable slur and certainly won't build any bridges here.

I think he's due to leave Scotland any minute now. Good riddance.