Why is the US such an unsafe country to live in (please read the details of the question)?

Ok, I've lived in many countries in my life. While the US is safe as compared to most countries, it is one of the most unsafe as compared to other first-world industrial countries. While there are no bombs going off, there is all other kinds of crime on the streets. Every state I've been to in this state has many 'slums' and unsafe areas. I've seen the places in NJ (Newark, Irvington, Trenton etc) where I was offered crack on the street, seen killing in St-Louis Missouri; seen sluts on the street in Detroit Michigan, DC, Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta, Philly, Nashville, New York City, South Boston, LA and the surrounding areas. Most of the places in the US are unsafe in my opinion, & I've seen a lot more cities than that.

Geezah:

I guess you haven't seen the REAL New York: South Bronx or East Brooklyn.

Jeramiah Jinglehorn:

By sluts, I mean prostitutes who openly "prostitute" on the streets.

jtrusnik:

Manhattan is made up of 95% (being generous here) immigrants/foreigners. It doesn't have any natives New Yorkers, which is why it is not the real New York.

• C V
    Best Answer

I'm not sure if I agree with the premise of your question, but there are a few things that come to mind:

1) The down side of Capitalism is that there are a lot of people who are crushed by the system. The US has vast numbers of socioeconomically disadvantaged people who have little if any hope of succeeding within the system.

2) The US protects its citizens from the state to such a degree that some criminals are allowed to go free who would be caught and executed or incarcerated in less free societies.

3) The US does not sufficiently prioritize law enforcement.

4) US schools are failing large numbers of Americans.

lol "sluts on the street".. run!

In the U.S. there are many different ethnicities and races competing over a shrinking amount of wealth; there is no common culture/heritage/temperament to keep people together like in other 1st world countries like Japan or Sweden.

On top of this there are also different classes- the rich who have everything and poor who have nothing. Under such circumstances where money is a motive there will always be crime.

Considering all that, I think the U.S. is actually very safe.

I've lived in South America, Africa, and the Middle east. America is by far the safest place I've been. We aren't without problems but considering the options I definitely choose America over any other country in the world. But if you don't agree you are free to live somewhere else. That's not a put down, just saying.

Every city has its sunny side and its underbelly. If you're looking for the unsafe parts, you'll find them. If you're looking for the safe places, you'll find them, too.

EDIT:

How is the South Bronx or East Brooklyn the "more real" New York than, say, lower Manhattan? What's the criteria?

Everything is a matter of degree, sweetie. To simply paint the US as an unsafe place to live is idiotic. Try Somalia, try Cairo, try Baghdad, and Johanasburg is the most dangerous city to live in not in a war zone.

If you have seen "women of the evening" these towns, try Nairobi, Arusha.

You are living a very sheltered life.

And, this is the most safe age in the history of humanity to be alive.

Oddly you mention having lived in or visited numerous cities and yet you who would have a greater insight ask others who aren't so well traveled as yourself .Why ..seems like an odd question to me unless you're just seeking to rant . 2 obvious statements need to be made ..Why are you going into areas where crime is bad and then wondering why it's so bad ..A wise man avoids trouble if it is within his power to do so . the statement about new york is absolutely true compared to what it was in the 70's it's a picnic in the park ..I want to ask you twice ..why are you in the wrong part of town ?.

It reminds me of the comedian who was bashing on arabs ..who said ..We have deserts ...We just don't LIVE in them

2nd why don't you leave them

1 why go

2 why stay

In other words, you're only sticking to metropolitan areas, and not comparing the US to other countries that are in chaos at the moment.

If you think NYC is "unsafe", you should have seen it in the 70s. Manhattan is almost ridiculously safe these days.

Are you comparing the crime rate here to any part of Africa, Russia, Iran. Are you considering Human Rights? Do you need a man to escort you out of your house if your a woman? Can you vote? Seriously, quit complaining. Live outside the city if you don't want to get shot.

• Galen

Simple. We have much less in the way of social safety net, so there are more desperate poor people. Of course no one forces them to be violent, but poverty tends to make these things worse. The system that allows upward mobility also seems to allow downward mobility as well.

As with all behavioral problems, look in the mirror for the cause. And look to our Puritan forefathers for the root of much of it.

The only difference is that the U.S has been and open society. That doesn't hide the truth of what happens within its society. The same things happen everywhere. Though they are more underground.