Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Will Mark Sanchez need to complete more than 25 passes in a game this year for the Jets to make the playoffs?

Or can their defense handle it?

Favorite Answer

I think they're no better than a 10 win team. (I'm being a slightly biased Jets fan lol) I know it's only week 1 but their offense was god awful (except Tomlinson) and with the loss of Jenkins their D will drop but will still be effective with Ellis,Revis,Scott,Taylor except Cromartie needs to play far more disciplined. Back to Sanchez when Holmes returns they'll be better but I think he should just attempt 25 passes a game at this level. Maybe he will develop, but I think honestly he'll be no better than Alex Smith. That whole Brent Favre fiasco messed them up (should have kept Pennington) and getting rid of Faneca and Jones wasn't wise as both guards are terrible and Greene fumbled twice, like I said maybe Slauson and Duccasse will develop. As I said 10 wins and that's being slightly biased.

Source(s): Avid Jets Fan since I was 6

Sanchez completed just 10 passes for 74 yards against the Ravens and the Jets still only lost by 1 point. I don't see why Sanchez would have to complete 15 more passes every game for the Jets to win games.

Sanchez was terrible on 3rd down - if he improves a bit on 3rd down as the season progresses the Jets will be fine as long as their defense stays pretty healthy. The Ravens have one of the best defenses in the NFL too, which probably didn't help Sanchez's 3rd down performance any.

• Zinger

I think the Jets are stifling Sanchez's development as a quarterback. At present all they are asking him to do is manage the game with no turnovers and let the defense win the game. Most of his passes if not all are of the low risk variety. I don't think it is the number of passes but it is the type of passes thrown. Unless they give Sanchez a wider berth on plays called like they did in the playoffs then the Jets are going to struggle. However, if you recall the Baltimore Ravens on their way to the Superbowl win did the same thing with Dilfer and it worked.

• D

No, Sanchez just needs more quality passes. The Jets are built to ground and pound, but it doesn't help their running game when Checkdown Sanchez throws little 5 yard screens or some smoke plays for losses. He needs to stretch the field and hit Cotchery deep. The Jets would do fine with 15 completions a game from him, so long as 5-6 of them were for 15+ yards. But asking Sanchez to throw deep is like asking Big Ben to stop raping women. Just not going to happen.

If Mark Sanchez plays like he did on Monday for the rest of the season its not unreasonable to think that the Jets win 9 games (they won't be committing 14 penalties and playing an elite defense every week), but if they want to play anywhere close to their overall talent level and guarantee themselves a playoff spot he will have to step his game up a notch.

It's that simple.

If he completes 25 passes in a game that means he's throwing the ball in the high 30's per game, which is WAY too much for him. They'll have a better chance running the ball on offense to take up time, and relying on the defense like the old ravens. Of course they aren't that talented but its a better plan for them i think. If he throws the ball more than 25 attempts then that's bad. I think the same thing happened at the steelers when the rapist showed up to camp. if ben threw more than like 25 times they lost. Same deal with the jets

Jets aren't a playoff team. They barely got in due to the Colts being afraid to try for 16-0 last season and they downgraded their running attack in the offseason.

Yes, Dirty Sanchez needs to take the load off the D. When Santonio Holmes comes back, it might be a little easier for him.

No they could beat teams just buy pounding the rock. When Holmes come back, they will be more balanceed. No I don't think he needs to throw 25 passes a game to win.

• y

At times he will, the jets d may look good so far but if they are spread out, they have a weakness.