How to increase disc space on my older computer?

Hi, please bear with me on this as I am a pensioner and not very IT savy. I have just bought video to pc kit to transfer old family VHS tapes to the pc/dvd for preservation as I have heard VHS tape can deteriorate after 15 years. The instructions say I need 20GB hard drive space to operate it. My computer is quite old, about 6 years and operates XP. I have looked in My Computer at the C drive and it says I only have 15.9GB of 37.2GB left. I know 37.2 is small by modern standards. Is there anything I can save on to get the 20Gb needed. or can I buy something (not a new pc please) which will expand it. The only 2 things of any real size are Windows 6GB and Programme Files 4GB. Thanks, John

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Mikkh
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

An external drive could be an option, but you need to check whether your PC supports USB2 first.

It's of an age where it might be USB 1.1 which is 40 times slower than USB2 and would make saving large files very painful and extremely slow

RIGHT click 'My Computer' pick 'Properties' then the Hardware tab at the top, then pick the 'Device Manager' button

At the bottom of the list should be USB. Press the + sign at the side of it to expand the contents

You're looking for the word 'Enhanced' on any of the entries

If you see it, you have USB2, if you don't, well then you haven't and an external drive would be a bad idea

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

buy a new hard drive, the largest you can find an install it, its not hard, there are step-by-step guides online. roughly $80 would cover all the costs involved. the new hard drive a second drive, just install the program or whatever on that drive. the second hard drive simply adds more space to your computer.

another way is to buy an external hard drive, USB or firewire connector type. its about 750 GB for $100. plug it in and it should work.

• 9 years ago

The best Storage solution for an old PC which runs in XP is an external Hard drive u can purchase one easily.

As this comes with various capacity rangin from 250GB to 2 TB

Hope this resolves your problem.

Cheers.

• sinko
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

you may wish a IDE aka Parallel ATA HDD. Serial ATA's weren't invented until 2003 i think of so it does not in nice condition on your laptop. pass on your laptop shop and clarify to them your subject. Ask for an IDE rigidity. purely confirm you have a spare IDE port on your motherboard. or you will could desire to get an exterior HDD utilising usb/ethernet/firewire. Edit: do not purchase a HDD with better than 200GB of area, you'll want homestead windows XP Sp2+ to work out better than 200GB (or thereabouts)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I think you should purchase a new separate hard disc available in the market upto 500 GB and connect it through USB port to your PC.

• 9 years ago

I would suggest buying an external harddrive. They are extremely easy to connect and use, and storage is rather inexpensive today.

• 9 years ago

external hard drive, remove programs, upgrade your internal hard drive etc

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.