Easter Island Question?

My environmental science assignment is about the people on Easter Island. What was the person who cut down the last palm tree on Easter Island thinking? That is the question I have to answer. It has to be a paragraph long and i could only think of a few answers to that question, and I'm not sure if they would... show more My environmental science assignment is about the people on Easter Island. What was the person who cut down the last palm tree on Easter Island thinking? That is the question I have to answer. It has to be a paragraph long and i could only think of a few answers to that question, and I'm not sure if they would be right.

If you happen to have a good descriptive answer that would be great. I have to email it to my teacher no later than 11:59 PM Thursday, September 16th.

please please please help
Update: What was the person who cut down the last palm tree on Easter Island thinking?

this is the question that needs to be answered. i already know the history and background, but thanks