Remdog
Remdog asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Good horse reads? Non-fiction?

I'm looking for good go-to or comprehensive horse care books. I enjoyed Margaret Cabell Self's books, but they're dated. I'm also finding it hard to parse through the "I like ponies!" books (ie- the 'eyewitness' type series) to find the horses for people actually involved with them.

Also, any good books on training? Horse veterinary care?

Thanks!

• Greg B
    Favorite Answer

The best books on horse management and care are the US Pony Club Manuals of Horsemanship.

And I loved Self's books as a youngster.

The best horse related book ive read is 'Be with your horse' by Tom Widdicombe,

its an informational book showing/telling in a story- ish fashion (cut outs of this mans life with horses) the way of how YOU should be/act towards your horse.

Its a verry insightful book that really shows you the things you do mostly un- knowing around your horse which messes up the relationship and holds back your training.

it also makes things a lot clearer of what is needed for your horse and you to be able to work in a calmer, non- cofusing way.

This is a horse training book in the way that it trains YOU how to get better results in any situation.

The absolute best books on veterinary care are the actual textbooks from vet schools. You can try online to find some used, and they are excruciatingly expensive brand-new. One warning, though--you will start diagnosing your horse with a new disease every day.

Check online for Bloodhorse, the racing magazine. They have a book branch with a wide selection, and they have pretty regular sales.

Also, try the Russell Meerdink Company, at www.horseinfo.com. Great selection of books and videos, full price, but if a book interests you, you can try to find a used copy online.

For finding books online, try http://fetchbook.info/

I've used it for years.

Also, Ben K. Green's books. Great stuff, good reading.

The best books i ever read about horses were my 4H books maybe you could get a hold of someone to get some they have everything from training to basic care its awesome or go to half price books they have a great cheap section of the books you're looking for

This book is fantastic so far. I just started reading it

The Undisciplined Horse by Ulrick Schramm

The RSPCA horse care guide is really good it has how to identify and prevent treat illnesses and how to buy a horse and how to do everything!

Source(s): Ive got the book

The Heartland series is amazing ! It actualy teaches you natural horsmanship and natural medicine even thou its actualy a story. I loved it !

I"m not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but Seabiscuit was a reallllly good book