Why is Christianity the main religion taught at school?

Personally I find the fact Christianity(and science)is the only main religion discussed more than just briefly in primary school. Not only are we missin out on the chance of giving kids a chance to actually choose instead of just being forced into the church, they're often treated as some sort of weirdo or... show more Personally I find the fact Christianity(and science)is the only main religion discussed more than just briefly in primary school. Not only are we missin out on the chance of giving kids a chance to actually choose instead of just being forced into the church, they're often treated as some sort of weirdo or misfit should they follow another religion. Most children in the US are going to learn about christianity anyways, with or without schools help. Instead of just banning it from schools altogether which I've sadly seen happen, wouldn't it be better to simply broaden religion instead of keeping to christianity, with the religious war that seem to be brewing and all. It's like it's christianity vs. islam, who people mix up with muslims, who people mix up with terrorists. Then there's Satanism, which people for some reason keep accusing everyday heavy metal kids of, and keep assuming they all have severed goat heads stored away in their basement, not to mention the LaVeyans who as far as I can tell doesn't even give a crap but get all the religious **** anyways. Then there seem to be some sort of collective distaste for the WIccans, who, along with Heathenism and a bunch of other branches, are ALSO accused for Satanism, to the fret of pagans and satanists alike. Then there's the tension between pagans, and the list goes on, and all the time the atheists just keep laughing.

I might just be overthinking things here.. but wouldn't it be better to educate children in SCHOOL, rather than leaving it up possibly religiously influenced parents, friends, rumors and racism? And I'm not talking about history class here, I'm talking about bringing actual priests into the classrooms as part of every childs education. Not to convert, but to educate. Opinions?