Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 years ago

I overheard my teenage daughter talking about me with her boyfriend on the phone; how should I handle this?

My daughter was talking on her phone out on the porch to her boyfriend, Arnie, and didn't realize I could hear her conversation through the open window. This is what I heard her say:

"No Arnie, I don't dare do that; I told you, no sex stuff. *she listens for a bit while Arnie talks* Arnie, you have no idea how psycho my dad is. You know how he 'accidentally' hit you in the jaw with his elbow when he was carrying his rifle past you in the hallway? Believe me, it was no accident. He's just looking for an excuse to beat the hell out of you, and if I did anything with you that would be the last day of your life, so no."

How should I handle this? Should I be concerned that my daughter thinks I'm psychotic, or should I be proud that she resisted his pressure? Should I mention to her that I heard what she said?

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't mention it to her...I'd just make damn sure that her pervy little boyfriend's face "accidentally" falls on my brass-knuckled fist next time he comes sniffing around.

Source(s): You can take the hoodlum out of the prison, but you can't take the prison out of the hoodlum, know what I'm sayin'?
  • This is a toughie. Do you want the "right thing to do" answer or what my crazy butt would do??

Ok well here's both.

Ideally, I think you should let your daughter know that you overheard her conversation, not on purpose but that she was being loud. And let her know you're proud that she took that stand with her boyfriend. Maybe talk to her about the pressures? Let her know she can come to you. or discuss when the proper age would be, I mean if she's closer to 18 you might just have to let it go. You've had a good run. If she's like 14 or something, keep talking to her.

Me...even as a mother...I'd have a little chat with Arnie. Send your daughter out to the mall with your wife and have Arnie spend some one on one with you. So he's ready to be a man? Let's see how he feels asking you to have sex with your daughter to YOUR FACE!! Scare the crap out of him (dont do anything illegal) and let him think you ARE psycho! Let him know that if your daughter is ready and she decides to jump on him, well there's really nothing you can do. But that if he continues to pressure her, or if you even hear that he's brought up the subject, you're going to hand him a handful of his own nuts!! The last thing you want is some pimple faced jerk to pressure your daughter into doing something she doesnt want to do.

Good stuff dad! You did good!

Nothing beats knowing that your kid's are terrified of you luv. It makes those few days of breast feeding and nappy changing all worth it.

I am concerned, however, that the message may not have gotten through to young Arnie. Perhaps the next time he visits you could have a quiet word in his ear while you lean the barrel of your rifle under his chin. I've always found this a very effective method of communication whether it be teachers, bottle shop cashiers or horny teenagers.

Haha im 23 year old girl n if I had a dad like that I think it def would have helped me choose my men better and overall had more respect for myself. Secretly maybe she knew you were listining, either way if she really wanted to with her bf she would, but if she said all that I think personally she likes the fact you have her on lock down. Girls need afather figure like that. If it makes you feel better to bring it up go for it, but honestly being a girl her age yes she.may get upset or think u were spying on her personal call,or she may not. If you dont bring it up at least u know.what the guy is trying..

and just in case I would suggest to ask her to get on birth control in case bf wins....that's great she thinks that way though maybe she likes the excuse of you doing something if u found out they did, cuz she may be scared to have sex.anyways. good luck!

You could always bring it up in a way that she may realize you have an idea of whats going on, but without giving away the fact that you overheard her conversation.

In my opinion as soon as you mention you listened in she is going to tune you out.

Funny! The only bad thing is she needs to know you do this out of love and not being mean to her. Talk to her and tell her that when she is ready for sex stuff its her business's but not to be pressured into it. Tell her all the old tricks that us guys did and used to get the girls into bed.

• LILAC

You should be proud of her that she resisted his pressure.I don't think she thinks of you as psycho,she was trying to scare the crap out of this boy enough to get him to stop with the gestures.What a good girl you have!

All girls at some point or another think that they parent are psychotic. I'd be proud of her, though, being that she refused sex, because that's something that you rarely hear of anymore. You always hear about teen pregnancies and teen girls getting STDs and STIs.

• Trust me, she will not appreciate hearing that you listened in on her convo. Yes you should be proud that she's being sensible and saying no. And anyway, most teenage girls think their parents are mad/psycho

Source(s): Teenager :D
  • Power

Why not just rid yourself of the b/f then you will have your baby girl all back to yourself. It won't matter what she thinks of you, she will probably not want another b/f after losing this one in this way. I think this is a win/win situation.

Be proud, she's using you as the perfect excuse to resist him pressuring her to do stuff she's not ready for.