Im confused...are pakistanian people the same as Indian?

I go to a college with a lot of asians, japanese, chinese, vietnamese, indians, pakistanian, middle eastern and etc..and to be honest I am white so I know very little of other cultures. I know two pakistani kids in my class, one I thought was Indian...turned out to be pakistani guy..I can identify Indian people... show more I go to a college with a lot of asians, japanese, chinese, vietnamese, indians, pakistanian, middle eastern and etc..and to be honest I am white so I know very little of other cultures. I know two pakistani kids in my class, one I thought was Indian...turned out to be pakistani guy..I can identify Indian people very easily. He was very dark brown and when we were in intro anthropology, I thought he was Indian but he said he was a pakistani. I said whats the difference he said, none. He was just Muslim.
However, I met this other girl in my class and her friend and I thought they were maybe greek or italian or some sort of hispanic...but they told me they were pakistanian...one of them had a very mild indian accent but her eyes were green and her skin was pale. her friend also really pale. one time I asked them if they were indian as well and they FREAKED out..they denied it instantly. My other dark friend said he was the same as indian but he was pakistani.

Then I was like confused. Are they Indian or not and why are some really pale and some really dark?

To me Indian people and other Asian people are so easy to identify.
Update: Im not sure because to me like some pakistanian people look indian and others looks more mediterranean and its very confusing because they seem way toooo sensitive to their geographical image...some freak out