Does anyone remember a movie with Ed Ames about maggots?

I got into the middle of this movie back in the 90s so I don't know how these people got these maggots inside them. I think it had Ed Ames in it or somebody who resembled him. It's about these country people living out in the boondocks, and I think it might take place during western times. Anyway, this family gets these maggots living inside them somehow and as time progresses they start behaving more violently toward each other, presumably because the maggots are eating at their brains, and they start showing more and more signs of decay. It's sort of a different take on the zombie horror genre, with the father figure refusing to go get medical help and eventually freaking out and threatening the other family members.

If you know the name of this movie, please tell me or send me a link.

That's the one! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mystmoonstruck!!! Sorry about mistaking Claude Akins for Ed Ames, but they were sort of alike.

I was hearing about zombie apocalypse movies and games on my podcasts lately and remembered that movie and thinking at the time that's a really different take on the zombie apocalypse movie.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Favorite Answer

I'll give it a try, with Claude Akins instead of Ed Ames:

The Curse (1987)

starring Wil Wheaton (of "Star Trek: The Next Generation"), Malcolm Danare, Cooper Huckabee, John Schneider, Amy Wheaton (Wil's sister)

Wikipedia synopsis:

Nathan Hayes is a religious man trying to hold onto his farm and keep his family in line. A real estate developer is trying to buy most of the farm property in the area, including Mr. Hayes family farm, in the hope that the Tennesse Valley Authority will choose the town for the site of a new dam and recreational area. The night of a terrible storm, an unidentified, glowing object crashes on the Hayes farm and with it comes a horrible curse for the Hayes family and the members of the community.

IMDb review excerpt:

Some gunk from the meteorite contaminates the water. Pretty soon the crops, animals and even several members of the Hayes family begin to mutate in various disgusting and disturbing ways. Zack must save Alice from his now monstrous and dangerous family. Director David Keith, loosely adapting H.P. Lovecraft's short story "The Colour Out of Space", not only vividly evokes a thick and pungent down-home hillbilly atmosphere but also does an expert job of creating and sustaining a spooky and unnerving tone. Moreover, Keith stages a few shock set pieces with considerable flair and skill; an attack by hostile chickens and the infamous worms-in-the-apples sequence are especially nasty and memorable.

Here's Part 1 on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2DzwNYYFms

Youtube thumbnail

I've never seen a movie like that, but I've seen almost every movie Ed Ames made, and he never played anything like that. He played in much earlier movies.