Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

What does Rush Limbaugh mean the only reason Oprah is famous is because she's black?

How could a man say such a hateful statement? Then he proceeds to say that " Oprah's only fanbase are blacks and guilty white people, who have white guilt".Oprah did not go out and say anything negative about Rush prior to him saying this. My Fiance and My mother both watch Oprah's show, so according to him, are they both guilty white people? Then he went on to say that Obama' is only famous because he's black, and if he wasn't black, he would be a tour guide in Hawaii? I know Oprah Went to college and has a masters degree, and Obama graduated from Harvard with a Law degree. Rush Limbaugh Dropped out of college, Who is he to criticize people who actually went to college, and blame their success for being black. A few months back he was railing against Michael Steele of the GOP, and I've heard him make statements About the NFL Players being overrated in the past because of being black. What is this guys problem with Black folks does he believe there are no talented black people? I Seriously doubt Oprah's entire white fan base is a big group of " Guilty White people".

http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-national...

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You have put forward a logical argument; asking why Rush Limbaugh is attributing Oprah's success to the colour of her skin. Forget the fact that she is an educated, well spoken, and strong business woman - nope she is black and in Rush's world that is the only reason.

Someone else has mentioned it but Oprah took over a show which was in last place in the early 1980's and a year later - well that last placed show was in first place. But remember she is black.

Then she spent a great deal of her time and fame and dedicated it to women's issues; she addressed weight in America and used herself as an example, she reinvigorated reading to the point where her mere recommendation is good enough to guarantee an author a best seller, she focused on everyday American issues and has accomplished so much in such a little bit of time. But hey she is black.

Limbaugh's greatest problem is that he sees race as the single most important factor in a person's character. What they have accomplished, what they do in their life, how they improve society means nothing. If the person is black, their actions are wrong, regardless of what they do or accomplish. If you are white then you are right and if you don't see colour then you are a guilty white person. Forget the fact that you are over race - according to Rush you are just guilty.

Clearly he is not.

• J M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

As for Obama's remark, my grandmother was a typical white person. My mother was a typical white person. There is nothing hateful in that statement at all.

Rush will always say what is confrontational and insulting to get his "base" worked up. Oprah is probably one media figure who has made way more money than Rush and she definately is far more respected than Rush.

Maybe the response should be that Rush is only successful because he is a fat, cigar smoking, ex drug addict, who makes a living by making people angry.

There is a big difference in Rush and Oprah, Rush has been caught lying and insulting everyone at one time or another, including American veterans. He provides no service and does nothing to improve our country. He freely admits that he doesn't check facts and does not provide news. He is an "entertainer".

When he isn't getting attention, he raises the bar for insults and outrageous statements. He is best ignored.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Ask

Ricki Lake,

Bonnie Hunt,

Jenny Jones,

Sally Jessy Rapheal

Caroline Rhea

Oprah started out in Chicago by taking over the lowest rated show in that market to go up against Donahue. With in months she over took Phil Donahue in ratings and that local show was renamed to "Oprah" and later syndicated in 1986. The rest they say is history.

The Chicago African American community may have helped Oprah's early ratings as they may have better identified themselves with Oprah in stead of Donahue. This would have helped her grab market share in over taking Donahue in the local Chicago market. It was her over taking Donahue in ratings which provided the spring board that launched her show to a national market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Donahue

After the national launch it is her talent which kept her show on the air for decades .

• justa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Limbaugh's a nut and getting nuttier. He has an overblown opinion of his own worth and opinions.

Personally, I hope Oprah buys and sells him a few time, then fires him. How much you wanna bet hes on the unemployment line looking to get his four hundred bucks a week?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fishn
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

He's a racists what's new he has a history of racists comments no wonder the Tea Party loves him.

Oprah's success is a result of the decisions shes made in life and a great personallity certainly helped.

I think Oprah is one cool women Rush is a punk

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Rush Limbaugh is a poorly educated, racist, obnoxious, loudmouthed, boorish, hateful,divisive, fear-mongering pig. And that's on one of his better days. Don't waste your time even paying attention to anything he says. He also said: "I hope Obama fails." How's that for clueless, classless, crass, epic stupidity? Flush Rush!

• meg
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Rush is only famous because he is a vicious loudmouth and makes a lot of money saying things that shock people, ignoring him is the best response.

• Wow, you pay a lot of attention to what a conservative talk show host says don't you? All the while ignoring what your president, yes the president of the United States has actually said about race.

Obama said: "My grandmother was a typical white person."

Please explain what he meant when he said that and feel free to use your rubber band liberal logic liberally if you like. Because that's what you liberals do. You're walking contradictions about race, sex and class warfare. :)

If Obama said "Well, I didn't mean it like it sounded." You liberal drones would jump up and down clapping like seals. If Rush Limbaugh tries to explain what he meant, the liberal scowl on your faces would grow deeper....soon your heads would start to spin around and you'd vomit all over the place.

I swear, you liberals are never...ever happy are you?

JM: It must be nice to write the rules. If George Bush said "a typical black person" all hell would break loose and you know it. Stop being a liberal drone and rationalizing what is "hateful" and "not hateful". You people are ridiculous.

• 1 decade ago

Frankly I do not pay ANY attention to Rush or any person spewing IGNORANT comments. They are basically on the bandwagon to make money on the faults of people regardless of color instead on focusing on a solution.

Regardless, liberal, conservative, right wing or left wing. Nothing is solved period.

• Shawn
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

*Sigh - as usual liberals who do NOT listen to him completely take him out of context by only using cherry picked phrases. LISTEN to his speech in its entirety before making the usual liberally biased opinions based simply on emotion.

Intentional ignorance of the truth = liberal insanity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.