pdooma
Lv 7
pdooma asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 years ago

Would you donate your child's organs if he/she died?

In order to save another child?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

We tried to do that when our daughter died but they wouldn't let us. Her body was full of leukemia and there is no way to be 100% certain the person that got the organ (because some of her blood would still be it) wouldn't develop leukemia from it. It is a very low possibility and most healthy people's bodies would kill off the leukemia cells but most people in need of organ donation have compromised immune systems.

If God forbid, we lose another child we wouldn't hesitate to donate organs.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's a difficult decision, clearly. On one hand, there's the issue of whether or not your child would have wanted to have such a thing done, whether or not religious objections come into play, etc. On the other hand, it's such a beautiful way to give life through death and honor the child by using certain organs to help other children. Oftentimes, the family that donates the organs and the recipients of the organs form long-lasting bonds due to the connection.

• 9 years ago

I would. I am a big proponent of organ donation. It may help me to think that my child helped to save lives too. It wouldn't make the loss of my child any easier to deal with, but it would seem like it at least helped someone else.

• 9 years ago

I would, yes. My mom used to work at Life Gift Organ Donation, and I saw first hand the impact that organ donation can have on lives... I wouldn't hesitate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

YES.

Our daughter has a congenital heart defect. She has had open heart surgery to repair her aortic valve and her prognosis is very good. She should live a normal and active life. Although she will hopefully never require a heart transplant . . . our experience definitely made us stop and think. Her surgery was rescheduled because a heart/lung transplant became available for another child - it really put things in perspective.

My husband and I are both organ donors and if we were to suffer such a tragic loss as one of our children, we would donate their organs. As someone else said, they will not need them and hopefully some good would come from our loss.

• Most certainly. I am an organ donor and so is my husband. I would want my child to be the life saver of another child if my child no longer needed those organs. He would "live on" in someone else!

• Yes, it might save the life of another child.

• 9 years ago

Absolutely.

no use in letting perfectly good organs go to waste.

• 9 years ago

Yes. I would grieve for the loss of my child, terribly painful. If she could somehow prevent another family from that pain, it would make her death meaningful.

• Em
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Absolutely. I don't want to get to into thinking about- because I WILL cry, but if something happened to my daughter, I would want to save as many parents as possible from going through that with me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.