Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

My pet turtle refuses to come out of his shell?

What's the point of even having him if he outright refuses to come out and play? The only time he ever comes out is to eat... and he barely even does that!

My friend suggested that I should buy him a tiny little top hat and when he DOES come out of his shell I should grab him really fast and superglue the hat to his head. That way he won't be able to tuck himself back into his shell AND he'll look 150% cuter.

Could this method cause any harm to my turtle? Would the glue be toxic to him in any way?

Favorite Answer

Why do you care if it's toxic. HE sounds like a shell-fish basterd in any case.

• K2

turtles are insecure animals and need a place to hide otherwise they become unhealthy due to stress.

its a common misconception that turtles are low maintenance pets. turtles require a day/night cycle. they require clear separation between dry land and water, because they are cold blooded creatures. they go in the water when they are hot and come out when they are cold. they require heat lamps to stay warm outside of the water. they require filtration to keep their water clean. in the wild this isnt a big problem but in a tank it is, their swimming water is also their drinking water. if you have a high volume tank, your water will need a heater to maintain temperature. and most importantly they require a cave or a log or something in the water to hide.

preventing your turtle from hiding is extremely unhealthy for your pet. your turtle is only insecure because his environment is not suited for him. if you provide an adequate habitat for him he should be confident enough to stick his head out more often.

you should NEVER glue ANYTHING to a living animal.

also, wash your hands after handling your turtle, they are covered in salmonella.

Source(s): Turtle raising experience.

If your pet turtle isn't coming out of its shell then that probably means something is wrong with it or its warming its babies

I second the top hat idea and recommend you paint his shell like a tuxedo.

That would definitely be the classiest turtle on the block.

"Could this method cause any harm to my turtle? Would the glue be toxic to him in any way?"

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• That would be consider cruelty to animals and the glue may kill your turtle, what you need to do is to buy a cat or a dog which are more playful animals.

It is animal cruelty. No wonder he won't come out!

Your parents should sew a top hat to your head.

Turtles are such under-developed water creatures! Get a pet Octopus and you'll learn a thing or two.

• Its worth a try, but you better have the shoes to go with that top hat

Try to coax him out of his shell with his favourite food, or by stroking his shell gently, it takes time for your tortoise to bond with you be patient! Do not glue anything to your tortoise!!! 😮

Wild animals don't like to be pets. I dont blame him. Why dont you go turn him loose where he actually belongs!