Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 10 years ago

Does alcohol kill probiotic bacteria?

**Probiotic bacteria, not antibiotics!**

Anyway, Despite drinking rather frequently, I am a huge fan of probiotics (mostly Kefir).

I am simply wondering whether drinking alcohol will lessen, or nullify the positive affects of probiotics within the stomach?

Thank-you for your answer^^

Of course I am aware of the affects of alcohol on the body, and in-particular: the liver. I regularly visit my doctor for this reason as I enjoy having a drink and don't intend to quit unless I feel I need to. Most recently I had a full body scan, blood test, etc... (due to an unrelated illness). The only negative thus far was a very slight enzyme imbalance, which I was told was nothing too serious at this point, and has improved since.

I am not, in any way, advocating the frequent use of alcohol.

Furthermore, despite debate on the subject of probiotics, I have found that, for me, regular intake of probiotic rich supplement has vastly improved my general state of well-being, energy level, digestion etc...

Thank-you for your answer Gary.

Furthermore, despite debate on the subject of probiotics, I have found that, for me, regular intake of a probiotic rich supplement has vastly improved my general state of well-being, energy level, digestion etc... I will also note that "Kefir" (aka; Tibetan Mushroom) is a culture. Upon being exposed to souring milk reaches it's ideal fermentation at 24-48 hours. Being a culture it grows, so it doesn't cost you a cent unless your silly enough to pay for it!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

"Probiotics" is a recent phenomenon referring to beneficial bacteria in the intestine. The body already has all of those it needs. I've tried to understand how "probiotics" could be anything worth wasting money on, but frankly, I can't. Alcohol can definitely damage or kill any bacteria, but not at the dilutions normally encountered in an alcoholic beverage. By the time it got mixed with gastric juices, it would be a pretty weak dilution by the time it got into the small intestine. Now, this presumes you're not talking about chugging a quart of vodka at one time, which probably would kill off all your bacteria, just about the same time it killed YOU. This is definitely not to say that drinking ANY alcoholic beverages isn't damaging to you; it is. But the damage is to your liver, your brain, other organs, and a general overall decline in your health until one day you wake up looking like a zombie, skin the color of concrete, and you get the message from your doctor that you can get ready to die now; your liver is shot. But you'll die with a gut full of bacteria, so if that's your only worry, then you're just fine.

• Jerry4 years agoReport

Mortality statistics have shown that moderate drinkers have longer lifespans than tea-totalers. I have had a couple of cocktails every day for over sixty years and have enjoyed excelllent health and at 85 am still going strong. I have never been advised by any Doctor to avoid alcohol.

I think it would be smart to refrain from alcoholic beverages when taking probiotics or wait to take them in the morning when not drinking. Not due to any bad side effects just effectiveness. You may be wasting your money more than anything

Occasionally people suffer Lactobacillus acidophilus side effects. Find out what the dangers are and how to prevent a negative reaction

take care