Why cant you build custom Apple computers?

I need a new desktop in a month so I need to pick which one.

I've built many Windows based PC's and they are fairly easy but I've never seen ones for Apple computers. Not only that, upgrading parts are tougher than on Apple than on PC's.

Why is that?

Favorite Answer

because apple restricts everything they can, they are the opposite of free. they want you to have to buy from them, to have to get replacment and upgrade parts from them, to have to buy a new computer from them every couple of years to get an update, if you could build your own apple computer that would ruin everything for them. you can always install linux or BSD (better anyway), or just use Hackintosh (install OS X on a PC). PC's arn't connected to windows in any way, PC's are personal computers, designed and built out of parts that are all interchangable and can be replaced, a company can get a mobo from one place a cpu from another a hard drive from a 3rd, it doesn't matter, originally made by IBM. Apple doesn't do that, they make you have to buy there computers that are only better for the pretty exterior for 66-100% more money. the OS is not an excuse to buy an apple computer, you can have it on a PC or use an even better one thats not windows or OS X. teh33b has got a good idea of whats going on.

I dont know why. Because apple is evil i guess. Because when the mac u are using becomea outdated apple wants you to go spend 1500 dollars on a new computer when all you really needed was a more ram so you could play starcraft two and listen to itunes at the same time. But apple says no. Thats my guess. And also apple is very closed. You have to use what is mase by apple. Simliliar to ipods and itunes, like how garageband is the only good music creater (not mixer, just creater). Kinda like that i think. And windows doesnt care if you buy more ram for your computer so you can play a game and listen to music.

Source(s): My opinion

You can it's just not as easy. PC and Mac hardware aren't that far apart, you just need homebrew drivers (kexts) to fill in the gaps.

And yes, it's Apple's marketing strategy. It's actually against the EULA on OSX to use non-apple licensed hardware. A company created by guys writing their own code on machines built from mail-order kits and duct tape says YOU aren't allowed to tinker with the machine they sell you or install their software on the hardware you want. It's a walled garden of the worst kind and they use it to justify price gouging to an extreme. No Mac save the Mac Pro should exceed $1000 based on specs.

Apple keeps all hardware construction in-house to maintain strong control of part quality and proper installation. They will never allow open hardware building and installation to the public, both other companies and the general public.

• ?

Sounds like a marketing strategy to me.

Because Apple doesn't want you to.