Hubby isn't wanting to Sleep in the same bed last Four nights and isn't sleeping...?

My hubby is 25 and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about a month ago. And its been getting bad lately. And it makes him so cranky and its like his pain meds have no affect not sure what to do. And two of his pain killers are shots his doctor prescribed. Well anyways he hasn't been sleeping well because his RA has been acting up so bad lately and he hasn't been coming to bed at all and like last night i woke up at like 3:30am to go get a glass of water and found him curled up on the couch watching the news with a heating blanket on and i asked him he had even been to bed yet and he said no. And he said he has been like this the past 4 nights. Just really worried about him to be honest i know he is in pain but i would think being in our own bed would be better then being on the couch. Advice?

Best Answer

Your husband has a medical condition, he is 25 yrs old and might be wondering how to cope with the stress of being in pain, taken medicine for a life changing condition that can affect his moods. Plus he his maybe stress on how to sleep in a comfortable position that will accommodate his wife and pain at the same time plus the kind of mattress you own. Give him compassion for his pain, relief from mental stress and health worries and maybe grab a pillow and sleep with him on the couch or nearby so he will not feel so alone in his discomfort. Replace your worry with gentleness. It does not matter where he sleep tell him it only matter that You are there with him no matter what room it is in. Buy some new pillow and enjoy your husband.

Check with doctor for possible better pain control. Check for a RA clinic that specializes in this. My sister in law has suffered with RA for many years and goes to a specialty clinic that updates pain meds on a regular basis. Sometimes they return her to a previous one and it will work for a while. Help him with understanding and careing and be sure to get rest yourself and maybe even some counseling help. This is not easy on you for sure.

Keep up the good work.

My late husband had 4 options - our bed, the spare bed, the couch and the recliner - he switched them around to try to get comfortable, sometimes all 4 in one night. Be patient, tell the doctor his meds aren't working...I'm sure he would rather be in the same bed as you are - I wouldn't care where he slept, as long as he was there when I woke up. Good luck and best wishes for your husband to feel better!

• Alyssa

If he wants to be on the couch watching TV then let him, he is a grown man and knows what he is doing. Maybe though you could try comforting him, it might make him feel a little better.

i am sorry to hear this.. such a young guy and such pain..

i have no idea, other than to speak to the doctor and possibly offer, that you sleep on the couch. he may really need the full bed to himself.

perhaps, movement in the bed "awakens" his pain.. ??

ps. my husband went through many rounds of chemo and radiation recently.. believe me, he needed the whole bed.

Call his Dr first thing in the morning and ask if he/she can switch or strengthen your husband's medication.

Offer to rub his back, or the area that hurts.

Run your fingers through his hair. My husband finds that very comforting when he is not feeling well.

Sounds like he's dealing with pain in his own way; I don't really see what you can do - it's not your fault he's in pain, you can't really help him.

Make him a sammich.

Ensure you do not run out of aspirin.