Multi-engine rating and Instrument rating?

If I have my private certificate with instrument rating, would I have to re-take the instrument check ride in the multi-engine aircraft? Or is the instrument rating a stand alone rating which does not need to be retaken (assuming I'm only interested in airplanes - not jets, helicopters, etc.)?

I'm sure I could find this in the Regs, but thought I would just ask people from experience. Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Rob G
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

It's an "Instrument Airplane" rating, not an "Instrument Airplane Single Engine Land" rating. However, in order to have IFR privileges on your multi-engine rating you would need to demonstrate an ILS approach with one engine inoperative on your checkride. You'll see this in the Airplane Multi-Engine Land Practical Test Standards. Any examiner I've dealt with, as a student and CFI, will assume that you will want IFR privileges on your multi although it doesn't hurt to mention it.

On the flip side, if one were to get their instrument rating in a multi-engine plane, it is still good in a single engine plane.

• gisin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Multi Engine Instrument Rating

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Multi-engine rating and Instrument rating?

If I have my private certificate with instrument rating, would I have to re-take the instrument check ride in the multi-engine aircraft? Or is the instrument rating a stand alone rating which does not need to be retaken (assuming I'm only interested in airplanes - not jets, helicopters,...

Source(s): multi engine rating instrument rating: https://biturl.im/dTius
  • bevl78
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

As the above answers correctly state, you don't need to take another instrument check-ride, but you DO need to demonstrate instrument proficiency in a multi-engined aircraft. It can be (and usually is) all done in one check ride. If you're going for commercial, wait until you have that on a single, then take one check-ride to add M/E Commercial w/instrument.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John R
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

As long as you have the instrument ticket first and demonstrate the ability to fly a multi under IFR during your multi training and check ride, a separate multi-engine instrument check ride is not required.

• 4 years ago

The best way to what? Your question clearly states that you already have a multi-engine instrument rating. Unless of course unlike the U.S. you have to retake the instrument and or the commercial checkride in a multi.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I assume you are flying with US/FAA regulations (Part 61)

If you get a multiengine rating - it will be VFR only -

Unless you get a check flight to get IFR qualified on multi engine as well -

When you get your multi-rating - tell your examiner to qualify you IFR-Multi as well -

Hey hey hey - find it in the regs - or pay someone to get FAR numbers for you !!!

Source(s): Retired pilot - ex CFI-ME and CFII
  • 5 years ago

extremely tough step. browse over yahoo. that can assist!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.