Italians, what is the rule for "il" and "la"?

I'm having a difficult time undrestanding when to use the masculine 'il' as in 'il treno' and the feminine 'la' as in 'la aereo'. I've looked it up and I understand that 'la' is used with all feminine words that begin with a consonant BUT in my instructional CD it actually says 'la aereo'.

Can anyone who speaks Italian fluently explain the rule?

10 points available to the first person who explains it best.

Favorite Answer

Hi.

IL is for male singular nouns starting with any letter but z, s with another consonant, gn, ps or vowel.

LA is for female singular nouns starting with consonant

But, when a male singular noun starts with z, s with another consonant, gn, ps, or vowel, we use LO

Example: Lo zio (You can't say "il zio")

Lo stadio

And when the word starts with vowel we put this character ' (apostrophe) after the L, deleting the letter O.

L'albero (lo + albero)

LA AEREO is impossible, because when a female singular noun starts with vowel, we do the same thing as in the case of LO + noun starting with vowel. We put an apostrophe and we delete the letter A.

Example:

L'amica - The friend -> female

Hope this helps

Bye!

Source(s): I speak italian

"La aereo" is impossible in Italian; it would be "l'aereo". I think you have either misheard it or, if you have seen it in writing, it must be a printing error.

I disagree with your book. It should be l'aereo.