Married with child to a railroad conductor?

I am thinking about a career move from being a dealership mechanic wich has poor benifits to becoming a railroad conductot but hear it is very hard on the family. I would like responses from railroad conductor wifes if at all possible.

• Jade M
    Favorite Answer

Figure that you will probably have a position that is nights/and or weekends for many years. The hours are long and unpredictable. My husband works a minimum of 50 and often 60 or more. The only holiday that they are guaranteed to have off is Christmas day. The rail road that he works for frequently changes jobs: the start and end times and the days that you will have off.

For the first ten years of my husband's career, he worked nights, late evening to early morning. His days off were in the middle of the week. Presently, he has a day job with Saturdays and Sundays off-next week his days off will be Friday and Saturday. Its possible that they will be changing a job-not his but it will affect him because the guy that it affects will have the opportunity to bump my husband out of his job. This means that he will be on a night job and it could end up being up to two hours way. They continually have to "bid" for their job, and seniority prevails.

An extra board position is an on-call position. You are guaranteed your full pay whether you work your 50 hours or not. The catch is that you almost always end up working nights and weekends. You will be called to cover positions up to 2 hours away.

I met my husband later in life; we do not have children together. If we did, I probably would feel like a single parent. He does work a lot and I often eat dinner alone. Often by the time he gets home, its dark and he's exhausted.

One thing that you should also consider is that you have to be able to work outside in all kinds of extreme weather-hot, cold, rain, snow, sleet (obviously where you live plays a factor). My husband doesn't mind working when it's 40 below but he hates extreme heat and working in the rain.

The benefits and pay are awesome.

My husband chose a career that was hard on the family. Sometimes it sucks, but I don't ever want to go without health insurance again, especially with kids. He actually tried to get into the railroad, but they said he had too much education.

Source(s): Army wife

you are gone a lot and the first years you will be laid off a lot

Just be yourself. It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else.