Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 9 years ago

Why Is My Eyelid Swollen? HELP.?

Okay, so every now and then, my left eyelid gets swollen whenever I wake up from sleeping. Its puffy and larger than the other one, and sometimes, its even both of my eyelids that are swollen. It NEVER hurts, its never red, and its never sore. I don't know what it is, and it drives me insane because I can't open my eye all the way. It happens often and usually goes away within a week, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was or what to do about it? Thanks so much!

Please no rude comments or answers, I would just like to know if anyone knew what it was before heading to the doctor. :)

Best Answer

The eye that's swollen, does it happen to be the same side that you are sleeping on? You could have an allergen on your pillow such as pollen or you may have a sensitivity to the detergent or softener that you are using. Does the swelling occur just after the sheets have been washed? If you have a new pillow, it could be the stuffing or the covering.

Since it doesn't happen every time, do you sleep with the window open at night, but not every night?

Try to eliminate anything that you sleep on that could be causing it and if it persists see a doctor.

• Joy

Eye problerms should always be promptly checked by an ophthalmologist. Chances are, though, that it's a stye or minor eye infection. Something like Gentamicin (a prescribed eye antibiotic) should clear it up. Until you do see an eye doctor, apply warm compresses two or three times a day. Don't use any over-the-counter remedies until you get an OK from a doctor. (OTC remedies can sometimes hide or distort the underlying problem and can make diagnosis or treatment difficult.)

It is most likely a stye. I had one not too long ago on my left eye too. It didn't hurt it was just puffy and made my eye look less open than the other one. I went to my eye doctor and he told me I had gotten a flake of mascara in my eye which infected it. He gave me antibiotic drops and I was good as new in about 2-3 days. Try going to the eye doctor, I'm sure that's what you have.

you may just have a sty. i get them all the time and their actually a little bump under your eyelid or a tear duct infection. sometimes my eye gets swollen shut. well i havent gotten one in a while so i dont remember that well but it sounds like what you have

• Cooker

To add to the other comments, if you wear mascara, certain mascara removers can cause allergic reactions similar to what you are experiencing. Check that out as well!

There are quite a bit of things that could cause this, consult your doctor to find out which one.

• subbu

Consult ophthalmologist.

allergies! drink alot of water, don't sleep with a fan on, and get dust-mite protective sheets/pillow cases.

freaky sex? ;)