Sean asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 9 years ago

Did I poison my soup with cassava?

I ran into a recipe that called for adding cassava and boiling with goat meat until tender. I've never cooked cassava before, so I followed the recipe. It's been stewing for some time now, but the cassava still tastes bitter, and now I've seen a site that claims the liquid it's cooked in is poisonous. Is this true?

Favorite Answer

It can be bitter and can cause disease.

Read more here. Cassava (Manihot esculenta), also called yuca or manioc, is a woody shrub of the Euphorbiaceae (spurge family) native to South America.[6] Cassava is extensively cultivated as an annual crop in tropical and subtropical regions for its edible starchy tuberous root, a major source of carbohydrates. Nigeria is the world's largest producer of cassava.

Cassava is the third-largest source of carbohydrates for meals in the world.[1][2] Cassava is classified as sweet or bitter depending on the level of toxic cyanogenic glucosides; improper preparation of bitter cassava causes a disease called konzo. Nevertheless, farmers often prefer the bitter varieties because they deter pests, animals, and thieves

Yes, cassava has a substance that can be poisonous when raw. Did you peel the cassava before cooking that could cause the off taste and make sure too cook it till its soft, the toxins will cook off. There are two types of cassava most markets carry the sweet variety but there is a bitter variety of so that's a possibility too.

No Cassava is yucca. Yucca is a root veg. By no means is it poisonous. Being of hispanic decent, I've grown up eating yucca. Many times it was boiled or in a soup. In hispanic restaurants they sell yucca which is boiled with garlic and onions, this then sits in the water it is boiled in until it's served. So yucca is not poisonous. Just remember to peel it before you boil it. The produce people put a wax coating on it before they ship it out to stores. It's supposed to be for freshness.

Source(s): Life

not really....cassava are only poisonous when it's expose to sunlight for a long time.....