Is it possible to have Steam NOT run in your tollbar?

When Steam is on my computer, it runs in the toolbar and makes my computer slow. Is there a way to get Steam off my toolbar, and only on my desktop?

Best Answer

The Steam application uses very little resources (currently using 0% CPU and 46MB RAM on mine). To be honest I doubt Steam running in the system tray is the cause of your problems.

But as has been said, for most Steam games you need Steam running. There are some games that will run without Steam though, you can try your games by first exiting Steam and then going to your \steamapps\common\ folder and running your games directly from the game's own executable (.exe) instead of running them via the Steam client or the Steam shortcut.

Unfortunetly no steam runs off your toolbar becuse its an active aplication that allows you to exit out of it without closeing it out comepletely, if you remove the toolbar protion it will close out your steam completely

Source(s): knowlage

Just right click it and close the application, if you play any games after that where you need Steam it opens up automatically anyway