Maheen asked in PetsBirds · 9 years ago

My birds ate a tiny bit of rat poison, will they die?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

    A common poison to birds is rat poison. In 2002, twenty-seven species of migratory birds were killed on Anacapa Island. The National Park Service was trying to wipe out the Black rat population on the island. The operation was successful, but, underscored how deadly common poisons can be. The birds can die of this poison by merely eating the dead bodies of the targeted species.

    Beaks and bills.com, has a definitive list of top ten items that are poisonous to birds:

    Chocolate

    Apple seeds

    Avocado

    Onions

    Alcohol ( There's probably a dummy somewhere who would try it.)

    Caffeine

    Dried beans

    Chocolate is a particularly harsh poison, causing vomiting, seizures and death.

    There are dozens of insecticides available in hardware and home repair stores designed to kill ants, termites, wasps, garden pests and many other nuisance insects. Unfortunately, these products present a risk to our household pets when a dog or cat is accidentally exposed to the poison, usually by eating the bait or poison. Although there are a host of different active ingredients found in these preparations, many of them can be grouped into two categories: Organophosphates and carbamates. Both organophosphates (known as OP's) and carbamates have similar toxic effects which involve disruption of the normal nervous system function by causing an excess of the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, to accumulate in the body. Although acetylcholine is a necessary body chemical for normal nervous and muscular function, this excess or overdose, causes severe clinical signs that can result in the death of the animal. If an animal is exposed by eating a poison containing OP's or carbamates (or, less frequently, absorbing the substance through the skin in a dip product) it can experience a number of clinical signs. These include excess saliva production, lacrimation or tearing of the eyes, excessive urination, diarrhea, muscle twitching, weakness, difficult breathing and collapse. It is critical that an animal potentially exposed to these insecticides be evaluated by veterinary personnel as quickly as possible in order to provide treatment if necessary before signs become severe, at which point treatment is often ineffective. There are many other types of insecticides besides OP's and carbamates, including- Chlorinated hydrocarbon compounds, pyrethrins, arsenic and others which have different poisonous properties and which may require different treatments for accidental exposure. As mentioned earlier, in the case of an accident, it is important to get the container with the label including the insecticide's active ingredient(s) and bring that information to the attention of the veterinary staff. They can then determine the type of toxicity and any possible treatments as quickly as possible, preferably before the pet is very sick. Many of these products are extremely toxic and any delay in evaluation of the cat or dog can be life-threatening.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.