When did you introduce peanut butter and hot dogs to your children?

I have a 21 month old daughter. I have not yet to introduce her peanut butter and hot dogs yet.

My daughter chokes and gags easily. So that want I am concerning on when to give her.

I think I introduce peanut butter to my boys when they were almost 3 year old. And I think 3 for the hot dogs.

Thanks

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Bobbi
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The 'new thought' on allergies is that the longer you wait to introduce a food, the more likely the child will develop an allergy to it. I think it is silly to wait to three to introduce PB & J sandwiches. Just give in small manageable portions. You can even introduce peanut butter to her, by peanut butter cookies! healthy and yummy! or you can smooth out the PB with honey, and serve on graham crackers or use as a dip. You can drizzle on yogurt or ice cream. If she has a reaction to PB, the portion is small enough not to cause problems. and, good chance with continued introductions she could outgrow the reactions.

• 9 years ago

My twins are 11 months old soon and they have peanut butter every morning.

That being said...they were introduced to it completely by accident. My older son left his peanut butter sandwich down and I was busy and didn't notice it in time to make him put it up and my twins sat there and ate some of it. They LOVE it.

I think waiting until a child is 3 to introduce Peanut butter is a little silly, unless there are allergies in the family to nuts.

My oldest has had hot dogs, but I cut them up. Cut them in half the long way then cut them into slices. =)

• 9 years ago

I introduce my kids to peanut butter when they were around 18 months. Hot dogs when they were around a year old. With the hot dog I just cut them up into tiny pieces, so if they swallowed them whole they wouldn't choke on them, but I still watched them carefully. Peanut butter I just gave in really small amounts and watch them carefully until they were use to the texture. But if anyone in your family has a allergic reaction to peanut butter I would ask your doctor when to give them peanut butter.

• wow guess im going to sound crazy to all the other parents. My son is 18 months and tried peanut butter at 9 months old, he eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch occasionally. An i believe he was about 11 months when we tried hot dogs for the first time, cut into little square pieces so he wouldnt choke.

I do not give him hot dogs all the time, but over the summer we attended alot of cookouts and parties so he had hot dogs almost weekly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • My son was about a year old before I started giving him peanut butter crackers, he was about 18 months old before I gave him all beef hotdogs cut up in small pieces. My pedi said it was a good idea to introduce peanut butter at a young age so he could outgrow allergies if he had any. Luckily he does not and loves peanuts and peanut butter.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

3 sounds good especially for the peanut butter. Not because of choking, but lots of kids have problems with nuts and you won't know until it's too late. My daughter got all itchy in her mouth from nuts in a chocolate bar (she is 2 1/2 and will grow out of it). I give my daughter hot dogs now but I was cutting them up into tiny pieces until about a month ago.

• 4 years ago

I don't expect my child to eat everything on his plate because I understand that we all have different dislikes and appetites. I do buy nutritious foods and put them on his (and my) plate with each meal. Some he likes, some he doesn't and some he eventually gains a taste for. My personal rule is that if you are still hungry, or hungry shortly after a meal, you may have some more of what was served, but not a fist full of cookies instead. I also try to cook meals that have some of what everybody likes...that way everyone has at least one thing one their plate that they consider a treat. Also, I have found that the example that my husband and I set for our son really makes a difference. If we go to McDonald's and order a BigMac and fries, that is a cue to my son that mom and dad know what is best for me so I should feast on similar stuff. When he sees us eat grilled meats, fresh fruits and veggies that he has already decided he likes (corn, carrots, green peas...) then he just kinda follows our lead. I also found a few years ago the he likes helping prepare the meals. I don't know how old your children are, but my son is 10 now and if I am grilling corn or steaming broccoli and carrots, he likes to chat with me and pull the silk off the corn while we are in the kitchen together. He also likes to measure stuff and mix ingredients, like if I am making a casserole or following a recipe. Good luck.

• 9 years ago

My son is 21 months and has been eating peanut butter sandwiches sense he was around 19 months and hot dogs he just started liking alot.

Source(s): 21 month old son
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I'd say 1 and a half years old for the peanut butter and the same for hot dogs. Just make sure you cut the hot dog up in teeny tiny pieces. (:

Source(s): I have a 2 year old
  • 9 years ago

my nephew is almost 1 and he has just recently been introduced to hot dogs.

what we do is take the pizza cutter and dice them extremely small. (like mini m&m size)

We have not done peanut butter yet. we are thinking of waiting until age 2 or 3 for that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.